Daya

I had decided to take him hunting with me. Patrick intrigued me. I loved the way he held me, strong in his arms. His complex way of life was new and different and interesting. I learned more every day. But now it was my turn to show him my world. I could hunt without using the thunder stick that he called a gun. My way was simpler, easier, and most importantly, quieter.

So, as I turned and ran into the woods, I had no doubt that he would follow faithfully.

I stopped after a few yards, my analytical eyes scanning the dusty ground for deer tracks. In a moment, I had located some. I waited patiently for Patrick to catch up, trying not to cringe at noise as he crashed through the woods. He seemed to have a talent for finding every dry twig in the forest and stepping on it. Never had I heard such a racket. Even the small children in my village could walk quieter than him.

I felt a twinge of pain at the thought of my people, but swallowed the hurt. My people were gone and that was the past. I could focus only on here and now, and my future.

Speaking of my future, it skidded to a halt in front of me. Patrick smiled, already exhilarated by the prospect of a hunt. In a rough voice, I used his word for the animal we were hunting.

"Deer," I pointed at the tracks, then at the direction the animal had traveled. Patrick nodded and started to say something, but I hushed him with a hurried kiss. Dumbstruck, he trotted limply after me as I pursued the deer in question.

It took us half an hour to locate the animal. I crouched in the shrubs near the clearing in which it grazed. It was a lovely doe, her tawny hind shined in the sunlight. I searched the clearing for any signs of fawns. It would be cruel to take a mother from the babies, and it ensured their quick demise. It was important that as many fawns reached adulthood as possible. If we killed every mother and fawn, the population would soon die out and we could starve.

Seeing no fawns, I unloaded an arrow from my sheath and notched it on the bow. I slowly raised my arm to aim. Behind me, Patrick sat poised, trembling with excitement. I wished he would be quieter, but there are some things even I cannot fix.

I took my aim, and right as I was about to release my arrow, sure of its mark and capturing our dinner, Patrick fell forward with a cry and the loud snapping of dried brush.

The doe's head flew up and she ran for the shelter of the woods surrounding her. I was about to curse Patrick for losing our dinner when I saw a flash of speckles and a pure white tail. The fawn had been dozing in the sunlight, concealed from my view by the tall grass and excellent camouflage. I swallowed my angry outburst and turned to Patrick. He looked sheepishly up at me.

"Sorry for losing our dinner," he looked back at the ground. I shook my head and pointed out the tiny deer standing at the edge of the clearing, his mother just beyond the tree line. Patrick smiled at this and shook his head.

Even the best of us make mistakes. I thought. Patrick just saved this deer's life, and his mother would live to see another day as well.

I picked up my bow from where I had dropped it. Taking Patrick's hand in my own, I led him back into the woods. At the sight of us, the fawn fled to join its mother in the trees.

Along the way back to the cabin, I felled several squirrels and one rabbit. It might not be deer, but at least it was food.

That night, I taught Patrick how to skin the animals and showed him how to set them correctly on the spit. I started a fire and we roasted the squirrels and rabbit over it. After dinner, I retired to my own bedroom, much to Patrick's visible disappointment.

However, in the middle of the night, I was overtaken by nightmares of my family and friends. I was scared of when Patrick's father would return home. I knew I couldn't stay forever, but right now all I wanted was Patrick.

I crept down the hall and nudged open his door with my foot. He lay still on his bed, face turned toward the ceiling. I wasn't sure if he was asleep or not. Just as I was about to leave, I heard him speak softly.

"Are you going to climb in or not?"

My fears vanquished, I crawled into bed and lay next to him. He wrapped one arm around me, pulling me in close, and twined his fingers with mine.

We fell asleep together that way, our fingers laced together, legs scrambled around, matching heartbeats and breathing. I sighed contentedly and wished our time together would never end.

B:'Wc