Patrick

Patrick crawled into his bed in the wagon. He cradled Lucy in his lap and ran his fingers through her hair as he did every night. His father went to bed without another word. Patrick closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Patrick awoke to the singing of birds and the glint of the morning sun at dawn. He stretched and rolled out of the covered wagon. His father was already up and working. They were building their new cabin out in the wilderness. They were far away from any other civilization, so they were depending on nature to meet all of their needs. It was risky, but they were willing to take the good with the bad.

Patrick grabbed his ax and went out to chop down some more trees for lumber while his father worked on the basic outline of the cabin.

He walked through the woods in search of a nice, sturdy tree. As he sauntered down the light speckled path, he spotted a small lean-to. Curious, he ventured closer.

It was a small hut made of sticks, mud, and grass. He continued looking and found a lovely horse lying near the opening. She neighed in alarm and got up. Patrick took a step forward and she raced off into the woods.

He made to follow her, but something caught his eye. He crouched down and saw a peculiar a jacket. It was made of rabbit, squirrel, beaver, and mouse skins. On the top for a hood, was a single fox skin, using the tail for a scarf.

Patrick ran his fingers along the jacket. The stitching was impeccable and precise. It was soft to the touch and it seemed like it would be well insulated when winter came. He fingered the fox's ears. They were soft.

He began to explore the rest of the camp. He found a small fire pit. Next to the pit was a sharp hunting knife. He moved inside the hut next. Patrick discovered some paint next to a small mound of dirt that looked like it was being used as a bed. There was a small hole dug in the corner that was covered by some leaves and heavy rocks all around the edge of it.

He walked back outside, his eyes taking in the scenery, and saw a shadow flash in the trees in front of him. He started, but convinced himself that it was just the clouds or the horse returning.

A makeshift arrow struck the ground just beneath his feet. He jumped back with the feeling that the arrow hadn't missed him by accident. He turned and fled the clearing without a sound.

Running back to his covered wagon, Patrick grabbed his gun before heading back into the woods. His father shot him a questioning glance, but didn't say anything.

Patrick wound his way around the small camp that he had found and continued on deeper into the woods to chop his wood.

After a long day of chopping, Patrick dragged the lumber back to the covered wagon and left it near the cabin's skeleton and climbed into the wagon to go to bed. His father didn't say anything about the gun. He assumed it had just been a precaution and nothing had happened.

Patrick curled up with Lucy and fell asleep, exhausted from a long day's work and fright.

BOw