Patrick

Patrick gazed across the table at his father in their little farmhouse outside of London. His father's expression was cold and stern as usual. Patrick found this look made his father seem old and cruel. The topic over tonight's meal had started off interesting enough. The New World always was. Explorers had been coming and going from the new land known as America. Patrick himself was very interested in the new land, but not this much. His father had just broken the news that their family would be moving to America a little over a month. Patrick's little sister, Sarah, was very excited about this, but Patrick was devastated.

"Why do we have to move to America? I like it here just fine." Patrick pleaded to his father.

"Patrick, you know why we have to leave. We're about to lose the farm. You can't even go to school because we can't afford it. America is the only place we can go to renew our lives. I'm sorry Patrick, but that's final" his father answered. For a moment, those stony eyes softened into a pleading look to drop the subject.

But Patrick wasn't about to give up yet.

"What about all my friends here in England?" His voice took on a whining tone.

"You'll make new ones in America. Now let's drop the topic and just enjoy supper." his father's gaze hardened once again to a look of stern disapproval directed at Patrick.

Patrick felt uncontrollable anger welling up inside him. He didn't know where it came from, only that he wished there was more. He felt it bubbling dangerously inside of him.

"But I don't want new friends! I like my old ones," he protested.

"That's enough!" Patrick's father suddenly shouted across the supper table. "Now go to your room and don't come out! You will receive no supper tonight!"

The dangerous level of anger inside Patrick grew more intensely now until it spilled over, the flood unstoppable now that it had breached the dam.

"I hate you!" shouted Patrick. He stomped down the hall and slammed the door to his room. His father winced and his mother glared at his father, her eyes as sharp as piercing daggers.

"You should go apologize to him," she said, her voice weary. His father stared at his stew. He looked as if he was trying to instigate a flame with only his eyes to incinerate the food. He suddenly got up and slammed his chair into the table. Then he, too, stomped off to his room. Patrick's mother sighed and cleaned up the dishes. Then, she sent Sarah to bed.

Patrick's mother tucked Sarah in with the gentleness only a mother possesses and lay down next to her. Sarah kissed her mother goodnight, and soon fell into a fitful sleep.

>