The Beginning of the End

"How long has it been?" I glance over at Angel and ask.

She looks down at her watch and sighs. "Seventeen hours." Kyla, whose laying between her legs on the desk, sits up.

"Does this mean that you guys didn't create the cure?" She groans and lays back between Angels legs.

"Shut up, Ky! We did more than you." I retort quickly.

"Well at least I didn't make a pretend cure, get everyone's hopes up only to fail like the loser I am." Kyla quips.

"Go to hell." I reply as I feel Spencer shake with laughter beneath me. We're laying on a sleeping bag near the glass door on the other side of the lab. Waiting...

For what you may ask.

Well for these stupid zombie to wake the hell up so we can see if the cure actually works or not. We've all been in and out of this room all night, checking and hoping something changes...but nothing. He's been sleeping since Dr. Johnson startled him yesterday.

"Maybe he's playing sleep like Spencer did that time." Angel suggests, Spencer giggles. I lightly slap her on the arm.

"That was so not a funny thing to do Spencer." I whisper to my girlfriend.

"Yeah! Maybe he's doing that!" Aiden chimes in.

"No one asked you bubble butt." Kyla throws out to him.

"Why you so meaaaaan?" Aiden whines, folding his arms over his chest and pouting.

"Cause you're such an easy target." My sister replies quickly.

"Leave Aiden alone Ky." I tell her. She smacks her teeth and groans.

"Ashley!" Glen calls my name, the tone of his voice making me shoot upright. I move so quickly I make Spencer's head jerk forward awkwardly. I apologize quickly before standing to look at Glen. He's pointing to the man.

"Holy crap." I breathe out as I walk towards the man. I guess we were so caught up in waiting that we didn't even realize how much better he's looking. His pigmentation is completely back.

He looks...alive.

His eyes are open, which I'm assuming is the reason Glen just called my name like something was on fire.

"Sir?" I call out to him softly as I walk towards him. I don't want another episode like yesterday. I can not wait another seventeen hours. His eyes snap in my direction and I can tell his terrified right now.

"Ashley is he-" I cut Aiden off, lifting a hand. We can't all surround this guy, that would definitely scare him. I turn around and hold both my hands up, telling the five other teens to stop walking and just wait. Kyla groans and drops down to the floor, sitting Indian Style.

My sister the brat.

"Go get Dr. Johnson." I throw out, not caring who exactly leaves to get him, before turning back to the man. "Sir, I'm not gonna hurt you." I tell him softly. His eyes widen as he looks from me to the straps around his arms and feet. "Those are just for your safety." I tell him.

"And ours." I hear Aiden say. I roll my eyes at him before I lift a hand towards the strap on the man's right hand and he freaks out.

"Noooooo." He cries out, cringing away from me.

"He speaks." Spencer whispers.

"I just wanna take the straps off." I tell him calmly. He shakes with every step I take towards him. "Can I do that?" I ask him, holding up my hands to show him I don't mean any harm. He takes a moment to stare at me then nods once. I move closer to him and release the zip ties from around his wrist and ankles. His left hand shoots to his right wrist to rub it.