Redefining Roles

Remember, italics are flashbacks. 

------------------------------------------

"This is gonna be a big task everyone. This building has nine more floors and bunch of rooms. This could take all day." I tell the group as everyone gears up to head out, we've decided to clear the entire building today. And to make sure it's secure, meaning all doors and window locked and possibly boarded.

"This is seriously gonna take all day." Aiden whines.

"It needs to be done." Arthur says.

"Does it though? I don't really see the point. It's not like we're planing on staying here forever, we just need to find a cure and be done with this place." Glen chimes in.

"We want to have a safe facility to work in though, son." Arthur tells his son who rolls his eyes and nods.

"Jo and I are going to stay here with the kids and everyone can meet back here at in five hours for lunch." Paula tells the group and everyone nods.

"I'm going." Kyla says standing up from the floor.

"No you're not." I shake my head. "You're staying here, where someone can keep an eye on you." I tell her sternly.

"I'm tired of you treating me like a baby Ashley!" She half shouts at me. Where is this coming from? "Spencer and I..." I should've known this was about Spencer. "...are the same age and you don't see anyone treating her like a kid." Kyla pleads her case. Glancing at Spencer when she said her name.

"Technically-"

"Did I ask you?" Kyla turns to Spencer and asks. Spencer smiles then pretends to zip her lips and throw away the key.

"Kyla don't talk to her that way." I interject.

"It's fine." Spencer waves it off with a smile.

"I'm not a kid anymore Ashley, I'm almost seventeen. Mom and dad aren't here, so stop treating me like a baby." She finishes and everyone looks at me for my response. What do I say? She's not a baby anymore but that doesn't mean she doesn't still need protecting.

"I don't know Ky, I don't think..." I trail off as she stares at me with narrowed eyes. "Fine." I say through a sigh. "But you're coming with my group so I can keep an eye on you and you're not allowed to have a gun." I tell her shaking my head.

"You're kidding right?" She questions with a raised brow.

"Those are my conditions." I tell my little sister. "Here." I hand her my pocket knife. "This will do."

"This is ridiculous." She says shaking her head as she takes the knife.

"That's all you're getting Kyla so take it or leave it." I tell her with a shrug.

"Fine." She says and walks away from me.

"Are we ready to head out?" I turn and ask the rest of the group, everyone is smiling at the scene that just unfolded between Kyla and myself. She may be getting older but I'll do everything I have to, to protect her.

"You should probably take your hands off my sister." I tell the man who's holding Kyla down to the ground. Kyla and I have been on our own now for quite some time and we haven't come across any people...any alive people anyway, since the outbreak started. That is until now.

"Or what?" The guy holding her down asks with a smirk. He doesn't know me...he doesn't know what I can do. I'm trying to keep my composure because I don't want to hurt the four men trying to take our things right now, but they aren't making this easy.