Chapter 8

“Guys, you’re being overdramatic,” said Sia. She walked over to the ruby-colored telephone. “Oh and I still don’t know why we still have a phone with a cord. It’s 2018.” She picked up the phone, “Hello?”

                Her friends waited for some reply.

                “Oh yeah, uh huh, Oh I’ll be finished in about a week or two. Okay, thank you Mrs. Roman,” she hung up and looked at her wide eyed friends, “See? It wasn’t one of the boys. It was Mrs. Roman asking me when I would be finished with my art project.”

                Sarah looked relieved, “Whew…Ok, maybe we were being a little overdramatic…”

                Sia shook her head and laughed.

                “Hey by the way, let’s order Indian food tonight!” Adam added in.

*Sia’s POV*

                Red and blue would look good on this side, oh and neon green and pink on the other side. Wait no…It would look weird...clash of colors. Ew. I mean I like contrast and everything but not on this painting… I kept on arguing with myself on which colors would look good for my abstract mural. This was my first big project in college I wanted to make it the best that I could.

                I picked up some acrylic colors and started mixing them together to create other brilliant colors. I was so into it, I hadn’t noticed Adam walk into the room.

                “Why you painting down here in the basement? You should paint outside,” He asked.

                “Because if a little paint gets on the lawn or driveway, it’s hard to remove the stain. But in here, I have paper all over the floor and walls. I’m good to go.”

                “Oh well yeah I guess that makes sense. But I’m just saying there’s more room outside.”

                I shrugged, “It’s good enough.”

                Adam smiled. He sat down in the corner and examined my painting, flipping his long, dark brown hair a couple times.

                “You know you really should get a haircut,” I said.

                This time he shrugged. I picked up my palette and the largest paintbrush and scooped a light yellow from the palette. I started painting on the corner of the wooden board as my base coat.

                “You need help there?” Adam called out.

                “Yeah, here,” I tossed him a big paintbrush. He got up quickly and took the yellow color and started painting on the other corner.

                As soon as we finished our sides, we reached the middle. I was about to paint a spot that had not yet been covered, but before I could, Adam swiftly smeared the yellow paint in before me.

                I looked at him, and suddenly realized how close I was next to him. Seeing my startled reaction, he stepped a couple steps back, “Sorry.”

                “Oh no, I-I mean it-it’s okay, we just didn’t notice so…uh…it’s okay,” I hesitated.  

                Then there was an awkward silence between us. He looked at his beaten up watch and said, “Oh look at the time! The Chinese food should be here!”

                I looked confused, “You ordered Chinese? I thought we were eating Indian food today? You were the one who said you wanted Indian food an hour ago.”

                He paused for a moment, “Right…” Then ran upstairs.

                What the heck? I thought.

*Sarah’s POV*

                I was still in the living room, not wanting to get off from the couch. I guess I’ll watch some TV. I waved my hand in front of the TV screen and it turned on. We have all these awesome electronics, yet, we still have telephone with cords. Sigh. I’ll probably gather up some money to get a cordless one. Most home phones these days are like cellphones so pretty much I’m going to go get another cell phone.

                Every time I snapped my fingers, the TV sensor would sense it and change the channel. So much easier than pressing buttons…Ahh…

                However there was nothing interesting on TV. I stopped changing channels when I reached this program where there was an orchestra playing a nice, peaceful tune. Maybe I should take a nap…And I quickly started snoozing.

*Shermeen’s POV*

                Shh…I’m reading…

*Naomi’s POV*

Sia was painting down in the basement, Sarah was sleeping, Simone was reading, Adam was doing…I don’t know what…So far I was doing the most exciting thing!

Me: Hey nialler! xox

Niall: Oh heyy:) wassup?

Me: Nm u?

Niall: Ya know, fryin’ patties at nandos:)

Me: Hahaha:)Fun!

                Yeah, okay maybe it wasn’t the most exciting conversation in the whole world, but at least I was talking to a cute Irish boy who used to be in a hot boy band. After 15 minutes of talking about nothing, I decided to ask him about his former band mates. ‘Cause you know, curiosity got the best of me.

                                                Me: So…how are you and friends…?

                                                Niall: Whaddya mean by ‘friends’ ?

                                                Me: Like…you know…Liam…Harry…Louis…Zayn…?

He didn’t reply after that…Which made me scared because I thought he wasn’t going to talk to me anymore so I quickly added:

                                                Me: You know if you don’t wanna talk about it…it’s fine…I was just a little curious… :)

I waited. I waited some more. I waited for half an hour. And kept waiting…Dang it. I think I just made him hate me. I threw my phone across my room, regretting why I asked him about Liam, Harry, Louis, and Zayn.

A few seconds later, it made a tone, which meant someone had texted back. I quickly jumped of my bed, did a cartwheel, rolled on the floor, and finally reached for the phone. Like a ninja.

Niall had replied! YES! I promptly unlocked my phone to reveal what he had said.

                Niall: It’s….complicated…