The Day I Fell In Love With A Demon{11}

Chapter 11           

It was painfully (for him) obvious that he didn’t expect that.  When I hit him, he lost his balance slightly and let go of me.  After a few seconds, he was able to steady himself out and put a hand on his now red cheek.  He was about to speak but I put a finger to his lips.       

“There is almost nothing you can say at this point to not make me hate you less right now.  I suggest you choice your words wisely.”  He stared at me for a few seconds before nodded.  Then he leaned into me and before I realized what he was doing...

I felt his lips on mine; I was so shocked I didn’t kiss back (trust me, I would I have if I could have).  I had been in love with him since I was a little kid.  He was and is my best friend.  No matter how much my mind was clouded with the death of my best friend, I still remembered him.

Before I really realized what it was, the kiss was over.         

 “Does that answer all of your questions?”  He said with a goofy smile on his face; the same smile that we had when we were kids.  I just stared at him, still in shock at everything that had happened in the last day.

“Kenny, are you okay?”  Dylan asked; getting me to focus again.  My old nickname was something I normally couldn’t resist.  Now it just confused me more.

“I guess.”  I sighed and…oh my god.  I looked around.  The whole town was staring at us like we were the entertainment of the night.  That was great, just great.  I scanned the crowd until I got to…oh no.  Vincent was standing there looking…there weren’t words to describe the sadness and the pain in those eyes.  He wasn’t exactly my boyfriend; but he was close. 

Why did it have to get so complicated?  Right after Sophie…passed away.  I couldn’t deal with it.  I looked over at Dylan who was looking at Vincent confused as Vincent looked at Dylan.    

So it may not have been the right, good, mature, honest, or nice thing to do; but I ran.  I only looked back enough to see both boys gaping at me.

Which, I’m not going to lie, had made me smile.

                                                _______________________________

I ran into the forest part of the park.  As I breathed in the warm Arizona air, I noticed the setting sun.  The sunset was fading and touches of pinks and purples were still in the sky.  I plucked a wild flower.  If I pulled a red petal I would talk to Vincent first; a blue one Dylan. Closing my eyes, I pulled out he last flower peddle. I plucked a purple one.  Someone must have gotten a laugh about that.

The whole in love with two boy’s thing was so popular in stories now.  It was so easy in books.  I had one I liked better in the first or second chapter.  Too bad it was much harder in real life. 

I looked up at the sky and saw a few birds.  I smiled, recalling a distant memory.  

I was sad Lacey and Sophie were sick today.  The only good part about it was that it meant I could watch the birds again.  Because I loved birds:

I loved how they could fly away at their own will.  The only time I was truly at peace was when watched them fly into the sunset. 

It was funny my kindergarten bird loving phase was what memory had come to my head.  Not one with Dylan or Vincent…

Vincent and I hadn’t shared any memories.  Not really; and only about what had happened.  In reality, I knew almost nothing about him except that he was kind and had been there for me when I needed him.  I couldn’t always say that about Dylan.