The Day I Fell In Love With A Demon{8}

Chapter 8           

I was still in a daze as I got into the car.   My mom was silent and I loved her for that.  She stepped up to the plate, at least for now.  Right now, the best medicine was to just be alone or at the very least in silence; I had so much to consider.   This was a place in my life I had never considered before now.  Much less thought I would half to go.  I never thought I’d be in have a boyfriend or that my best friend would be dead.  I never thought that I’d be thinking about that kind of stuff on my birthday (ok so I might have thought about the boy thing a couple of times.  I am still a teenage girl.)           

That wasn't the pressing on the two issues.  Sophie, Lacey, and I were supposed to be there for each other.  Now Sophie was gone forever; dead!  Again I thought it would be time to confront the problem once and for all, but I didn't.  I didn’t have time to think about all this right now (or at least that's what I went on telling myself).  I had a sweet sixteen to go to.

________________________________

The rest of the ride was silent, and I thought about nothing in particular.  My mom finally spoke.  “I got you a dress.  Before you say anything about it, Sophie picked it out.”  I hated when people picked things for me to wear.  Right now didn’t seem the time to argue, especially if Sophie had picked it out for me.  

I went upstairs. I opened the door and my mouth gapped open in delight and suprise. The dress was, in one word, magical.  It was a green that would almost make my eyes look beautiful.  It had one sleeve and one not and was covered with glitter.  It was satin and had small heels next to it matching the dress exactly.  It was a dress fit for a princess. 

Then it clicked: my party was princess themed.  There were dangly silver earrings next to it.  There was glitter green eye shadow next to it.  Then, to make it complete, there was a tiny silver crown.  I realized tears were sprinkling down my face it an instant.  The dress was just so perfect.

I took it very delicately and striped my clothes off.  I put on the dress then the eye shadow.  It that next moment I just stood their admiring the world.  I guess there were thing that made life so nice and beautiful under all the trouble.  There was a slight bang on the door and my mom walked in.  Her hands went to her mouth and tears formed then spilled out of her eyes.  “Baby, you look beautiful,” was all she said. I was about to grab the small matching green handbag and go when I remembered the tiara.  I placed it on my head and gently walked out the door.  Not even looking to admire how gorgeous I actually looked and felt.

________________________________           

This was the biggest moment of my life.  I wanted to make it something I would remember.  After today my life was suppose to change forever; something I didn’t know if I was ready for.  I walked outside and looked for my transportation.  At the front of my drive-way was a horse drawn carriage.  That was magical enough, not to mention the boy.  Outside of the carrige was Vincent. 

He was wearing a mish mash of clothes.  A white shirt that was more casual than dressy with black dress pants and a green tie with a smiley faces on it.  On the top of his head was a crown that looked like a cheap stage prop form an old movie.  The crown must have been given to him as a sort-of joke.  He didn’t look like he owned anything really dressy and this was the very best he could pull off.  That didn't matter; it was perfect on him. He was holding the door open just like a gentleman. 

A smile stained my face.  I walked towards him; trying not to slip on my heels which were higher than I ever would have picked out myself.  Vincent was smiling too.  I walked up to the carriage basking in every moment.  Vincent kissed my hand as I entered the carriage and I couldn’t resist blushing.  After I was settled in the carriage (which was small but had a beautiful,quaint feeling in its red leather), I smiled as Vincent sat next to me.  He just touching the hem of my gown.  He leaned over and I thought he was going to kiss me when he whispered in my ear.  “Are you ready for a night to remember?” He talked as though he had always planned this.  I smiled.  Tonight was my night.  Threw all the blood shed and hatred this night was mine.  I would live and regret later.           

“I’m ready,” I said more to the night than to Vincent.

_________________________________              

There are days in life when nothing matters.  Not for sheer insignificance of caring of the life around you but for the purest pleasure that makes everything else seem to least importance.  This was one of those days for not just me but the world around me. When one person is completely content people around feel at peace if not genuinely content.  I, Kendra Banks, for the fist time in my entire life I was truly happy.

I steeped out of my carriage and looked around.  The sight was more beautiful and magical than words can really write but I will try.  It was set outside in a beautiful little park; it was made to look like a ball room.  "Servant’s" were everywhere, other people wore rags like "peasants."  Everyone wore clothes like that except my own mom, who wore jeans and blouse.  I smiled at myself at this, some things will never change, my mind rustled on.        

The only thing that didn’t make me smile was when I saw Lacey.  Her cheery face was bright and her brown hair was pulled up into a bun.  Oh God, she doesn’t know.  Tears welled up in my eyes.  Vincent looked at me questioningly and I only shook my head.  Lacey stepped forward out of the crowd and continued smiling at me.  That’s what broke me, I guess.  I couldn’t look Lacey in the face without crying.           

I ran to Lacey.  She smiled at me and said, “What do you think?  Sophie and I have been planning it forever.  I know how much you love all this kind of old fashioned things.”  Her face was so filled with happiness and ignorance.           

I’d never wanted to be ignorant until that moment.  I hated not knowing something, but at that moment I would have given just about anything to be as ignorant to Sophie’s death as Lacey was.  I knew that no one had been told, but seeing other people’s ignorance was something else entirely.        

That wasn’t the biggest problem, of course.  The biggest problem is that I knew it was my place to tell Lacey about what had happened.  We had been the three musketeers, and I knew I was the only one that could provide any comfort to Lacey right now.  After all, I had also just lost one of my best friends. 

Lacey sensed something was wrong when I didn’t comment on the party right away.  She was looking at me with confusion and even a trace of fear in her eyes.  Although Lacey acted ditzy sometimes, she had an uncanny knack for when something was wrong.  

“Kendra, did something happen?”  When I didn’t respond right away, Lacey took it as a yes.  

“Oh God, oh God,” Lacey murmured over and over again.  She was almost crying purely from the expression I must be giving.  There was no way she would take Sophie’s death well.         

At last I finally spoke, “I need to talk to you, alone.”  My voice was hard, unfeeling.  This only added to Lacey’s confusion and fear.  I led her in a back room.  At first I tried not to look at her, but I knew that I needed to be looking her right in the face when I explained all of this.  I looked at her for a moment before saying, “Sophie’s gone.”

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Kendra's dress is off to the right if any of you want to see it   --->