The Day I Fell In Love With A Demon{10}

Chapter 10

            I stared in awe as Dylan walked down the isle.  I couldn’t help that I had tears in my eyes when I saw him.  When he left, we had just finished seventh grade, he was just hitting puberty.  Now he was, to put it simply, perfect. 

            His dark blond hair was cut in a longer style, but not in a “you need to get a haircut way.”  If it was possible, his eyes looked even greener than before he left.  He smiled at me with no hint of shyness like when I’d first met him.  In fact, his eyes were glowing.  

            For one moment, I forget what was going on and just remembered on of my best friends was standing there. I ran over to him and I leaped into his arms; I just couldn’t help myself.  “I take that as you’re glad to see me.”  He said in a voice than was much deeper than it had been, but still familiar. 

            “I am.  Not that I’m not glad to see you, but why are you here?” I asked.  We were still in a hugging position so he pulled me back without letting go of me.  His green eyes smiled warmly at me and I looked into them with a deep sincerity.  He smiled at me and I felt my heart speed up.

            “Don’t you remember our deal?”  He whispered, causing chills to run down my spine.  It took me a moment to realize he’d asked me a question, but when he did, I remembered so long ago.  Of course, I didn’t remember all that good things; it never happened that way.  Instead I remembered why I tried to forget about my old friend…

            “Come on Dylan!  What do you want to tell me?”  It was the last day of school in our seventh grade year.  I was walking down the hall holding Dylan’s hand; we had been doing that since second grade, and no matter how much we got teased for it, I loved to hold his hand. 

            “Can we sit down?”  Dylan said and I was starting to get worried, but it was normal at the same time.  Dylan was sometimes so serious over nothing.  Every time he’d go all “this is really bad”, it turned out to be nothing.  That meant I shouldn’t have worried, but my heart speeding up seemed to disagree.

            We sat down on a bench outside our school.  Dylan looked away from me. “Kendra, I’m leaving.”  Oh, so that’s what this was about.  He was going away probably for the whole summer, and then he would be back.  The thought left bump in my throat.

            “So you’re going to be gone the whole summer; I’ll be sad but we can call each other everyday.”  I said hoping that it was true, knowing that it wasn’t at all.  He shook his head and that was all I needed.

            “You can’t move away!  You can’t!”  I said starting to cry. He put his arms around me like he’d been doing since we were kids.

            “Please don’t cry, Kenny.  Oh, don’t make this so hard.”  He said and he looked like he was about to cry.  I pulled myself together long enough to look at him. “It won’t be forever; only three years.  But it is in the rainforest…no cell service or computers.”  I looked at him.  “But I promise you that I will be there for your sixteenth birthday.”       

“What is this, some bad romantic comedy?  You’re my best friend; I don’t want you to go!  And no cell services it really stupid! ”  

            He looked away, “I know.”  We sat a while longer.              

            I knew I was angry and needed to calm down.  After all, I needed to make the time with him last; I didn’t know when I’d see him again.  Then to complete our corny out of the movies moment, I added. “I’ll never forget you, Dylan.”