What Did He Have...

Why Did He Have...

"Ok.  Let's talk.  I am a student, I am sixteen, as of today, and I love the color yellow.  Your turn." I spoke so calmly that I almost laughed at myself.  Vincent smiled a smile that said, 'Hey, I'm cute' and showed off his freckles.

"My name is Vincent.  I go... am going to be starting Summering High School.  I'm also sixteen years old.  Plus, I'm in the room with the girl who saved my life." He smiled a breath taking smile that made that warm foggy feeling come back.  He was so dreamy and my age, and he was complimenting me.  I was not really listening to what he was saying.  When I took a second to process the words, I nearly gasped.

"Wait you said Summering High School? I go there, too!!!" This was amazing.  At least, upon first thought it was.  I knew everyone in my class; there weren't enough people to really get confused.  He must be either really smart or really dumb if he wasn't in my class at sixteen.  That really sucked either way. 

As cute as he was, I couldn't stand a guy whose only thing going for him was football, especially if was as dumb enough to fail the grade.  On the other hand, if he was really smart, he would just make me feel dumb when I was around him.

I was about to ask when he said, "Today would be my first day.  I said starting Summering High School."  A blush formed on my cheeks and my supidity.  Vincent continued,  "Instead, I'm spending it in a hospital bed." A frown formed in his face, but quickly vanished and he smiled again.  "I'm with you though, and that's ten times better than school."  I couldn't help the grin that formed on my face.  This would be his first day of school.  I met the new kid before anyone else.  I felt a rush of hope swell.

When I turned to talk again, I really looked at him.  To say the least, he looked beat up.  There were cuts on his face and he had a wicked black eye.  Yet even worse than his face, I could see his arms had bandages covering them.  I had broken my arm once and this was not what the cast looked like. It was bigger and bulker than mine ever had been.  He must have lost a lot of blood.  In the bruises and cuts showed someone who almost fought to death for the life of another and himself, something not all people would do.  That made him beautiful on his own.    

"Are you ok?" I asked, which was the most serious thing I'd said.  His smile faded.  I instantly regretted saying anything. 

"I have a broken arm.  So, on my real first day of school I will have a very large, ugly cast." He lost his fleeting seriousness.  "You can be the first to sign it." I smiled in spite of myself.  He seemed to be pleased with himself at making me smile, which made me smile even more.  He hesitated; it seemed as though he was debating to ask me something.  

"What is it?" I asked finally, unable to wait any longer.  His face became serious.

"That other girl, I think you called her Sophie, I tried to save her, but there were so many of them..." He seemed to lose all words and become lost in thought.

I was trying not to think about Sophie at all right now.  It must have all been a dream; there was no way that she could have been dead.  She was probably joking about all of this with Lacey right now.

Yeah right, a small part of my mind said that the rest of my mind chose to ignore.  

I looked back at Vincent and a realization hit me.  My thoughts of him being the killer couldn't be farther off; I knew for sure at this point.  This weight of her death was hurting him in a way I could never understand.  I realized after that I had repeated the last part of my thought aloud.

"I only got in one good punch before I was down." He looked so angry at himself and sad.  There was too much sadness in those eyes.  Those beautiful eyes should never deal with such sadness.