Chapter 44: The Contract and a "Simple" Demonstration of Loyalty

It was evening of my second day in captivity when two guards came to my room. I was lying on my bed playing a video game when the door opened and they stepped inside, followed by Nichelle. I hated seeing her. Actually, I hated her. She always made me tic.

"Time to go," the first guard said, not as politely as the last time they'd come for me.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Dr. Hatch has requested your presence."

"Let me get my shoes on." I put on my shoes, then walked out of my room with one guard in front and one in back, with Nichelle walking at the rear guard's side. They walked right past Hatch's secretary and into his office. Hatch was at his desk. He stood as I entered.

"How are you, Michael?" he asked.

"Tired," I said.

"I would imagine. You've had enough on your mind to cause any- one insomnia." He turned to the guards. "You may go."

"Yes, sir," the guards said in unison.

To my surprise he said to Nichelle, "You too."

Nichelle looked at me. "Just try something," she said.

"Nichelle, that's really not necessary."

She glared at me before following the guards out of the room. Hatch shook his head. "Sorry about that. What Nichelle lacks in tact she makes up for in unpleasantness." His expression hardened. "So, down to business. Have you come to a decision?"

My tics were acting up and I tried not to blink but couldn't help it. "Yes, sir."

"And that is?"

"If you'll free my mother and my friends, I'll join you."

He just stared at me until the silence became uncomfortable. "You know I can't release Taylor," he finally said. "She's too danger- ous. She knows too much."

"But that was our deal."

"No, you'll recall that our deal was that I'm giving her to you. A much better scenario, I'd say."

I just looked at him. That was what he'd said.

"I'm not trying to be difficult, Michael. But Taylor brought this on herself—and you. She'll have to live with the consequences. But, with you joining us, I think she'll come around and before too long she'll join us back in the house. And, she'll be yours."

I couldn't help but wonder how he planned to ensure that.

"But, of course, your mother will be set free immediately, as will Ostin and Jack. We'll fuel up Jack's car, give him some traveling money, and he can drive back home."

"What proof do I have of that?"

"What proof would you have? Ostin can call you as soon as they're on the road. And we'll let you talk to your mother." He leaned forward, extending his hand. "Do we have an agreement?"

I slightly hesitated, then stepped forward and took his hand. "Yes, sir." We shook. Then he sat back in his chair.

"Very well." He pushed a piece of paper toward me. "I'd like you to sign this document, to convey your resolve."

I leaned over the desk and looked at the form.

I, Michael Vey, do hereby enroll and subscribe as a full member of the Elgen Academy and promise to do whatever is required of me to promote and advance the academy's work, mission, and objectives as long as my services are required.