Chapter 31: The Road

Ostin sat in the backseat of the Camaro, pressed up against the side, reading a book. I could tell he was still mad that I hadn't told him about Wade. For the most part Wade kept his distance, listening to his iPod and playing his DS.

A couple of hours into the drive Wade asked, "What are you reading?"

"A book," Ostin said. "Ever seen one?"

"Ever seen a fist?"

"Knock it off," Jack said.

"Porky," Wade said. "Oink, oink."

"Stop it," Ostin said.

"Never seen a hog read before. Are you gonna eat the book when you're done?"

"Shut up."

"Oink, oink."

"Hey, Wade," Jack said. "Ever wonder what a thousand volts would feel like on your tongue?"

His grin disappeared. "No."

"Then keep your mouth shut."

Wade sat back and put his earbuds back in. I looked in the rearview mirror. Ostin looked pretty miserable. I felt bad for him. For his sake, I wished he hadn't come.

I turned to Jack. "Thanks."

"Sorry about that." A few minutes later Jack asked, "You an only child?"

"Yeah. How about you?"

"I've got two brothers and a sister."

"Are you the oldest?"

"No, I'm the youngest. I'm the only one still at home. One of my brothers is in Iraq. He's a Marine." He said this with obvious pride.

"That's cool."

"Yeah, he's really cool. He even got a medal for bravery."

"How about your other brother?"

His smile fell. "He's in prison."

I wasn't sure how to respond. I didn't know anyone in prison. I wanted to ask what he'd done but it didn't feel right. I didn't have to.

"He got really messed up on drugs. He and a guy were stealing snowmobiles to get money for drugs when the owner came out. The guy with him had a gun and he shot the man. My brother didn't even know that he had a gun, but the way the laws are, he's also guilty. So he'll be in prison a long time."

"Do you see him very much?"

"Nah, he's in Colorado. I only see him once a year." His voice lifted. "My sister's doing real well, though. She married a guy who owns a chain of tanning salons. They have a real nice home and two little kids."

"Do you see much of her?"

"Nah, she doesn't have much to do with the family. She got married young to get away. That's because my folks used to fight a lot before my mother left."

I now understood why Jack locked kids in lockers. I'd probably be doing the same if I came from a home like his.

"What about you? What happened to your dad?"

"He had a heart attack."

"Was he old?"

"No. My mom said he had a 'bad ticker.'"

"That's too bad."

I looked back. Wade's eyes were closed and he was still wearing his earbuds. I wasn't sure if he was sleeping or just listening to music, but I figured that either way he couldn't hear me.

"What's Wade's story?"

"Not good. His parents were alcoholics. His old man used to beat the tar out of him until the state took him away. He lived with foster parents until they put him with his grandma, but she don't really want him. She's not shy about telling him, either. You'd think an old lady would be nicer, but that prune could strip the bark from trees with her tongue. So he just hangs with me most the time. I'm kind of like his only family."

"He's lucky to have you," I said.

Jack looked at me with a peculiar expression. "Thanks, dude." Then he looked back to the road. I swear his eyes were moistening. I turned away so I wouldn't embarrass him.

---

It took us four hours to reach Winnemucca, Nevada. We stopped at a gas station to fill the Camaro's radiator with water, then we ate dinner at Chihuahua's Fiesta Restaurant. I got a burrito, Jack and Wade got two, and Ostin got the taco platter. We ate quickly, then got back on the road.

"So how do you do it?" Jack asked me.

"Do what?"

"Shock people."

I shrugged. "I don't know. It's like asking how you sneeze. It just happens."

"But you can control it . . ."

"Yeah. Usually."

"Why didn't you shock us when we shoved you in the locker the first time?"

"Because I'm not supposed to use my power. My mother didn't want anyone to find out. She was afraid something might happen."

"Like what?"

"Like what did. That's why they took her."

"I didn't tell anyone," Jack said.

"I know. It wasn't you."

"So you know who took her?"

"Some corporation."

"This is like a James Bond movie," Jack said. "What are you going to do when you get there?"

"I'm going to find my mother."

"Hate to say it, but even if she's there, it's not like they're going to just let you in. If they kidnapped her, she's going to be guarded."

"I know. I'm making this up as I go."

"I get it," Jack said. He took a drink from his Red Bull and looked back at his watch. "We've got another ten hours. If we drive through the night we'll be there by morning."

"Then let's drive through the night."

"I need to pick up some more Red Bulls." He reached in back and thumped Wade on the head, waking him.

He pulled his earbuds out. "What?!"

"Get some sleep. You're driving from Bishop to Pasadena."