Chapter 37: Discovery

Jack slowly pulled the van into the garage, put it in park, and killed the engine. The guard watched us intensely.

"Ready, Ostin?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, looking very unready.

I slid open the side door and stepped out. I grabbed one of the metal containers, then started toward the building's entrance. The guard's eyes were glued to me, and his hand hovered above his gun. When I was a couple of yards from him he said, "Stop."

I stopped. "Yes, sir."

"Where's your ID?" he asked.

I struggled to control my tics. "Sorry, it's in my pocket. Would you mind getting the door for me?"

His expression didn't change. "I need to see your ID."

"You recognize me, don't you? We talked last week."

"I wasn't here last week," he said.

I gulped. "It must have been another guard. In those glasses you all look alike."

"Your ID."

I sighed. "Okay. Here, it's just in my pocket. Hold this for one second."

Jack opened his door and started to get out of the van. "Is there a problem?"

The guard turned to him, "Get back in the van. I need his ID and your ID."

"I'm getting it," I said. "Just give me a hand." I pushed the tray toward the guard. He put his hands out, pushing back against the metal tray. "I'm not going to . . ."

I surged. His mouth opened but before he could make a sound he dropped to the ground unconscious. I set the tray on the ground.

"Whoa," Jack said. "I'm glad you didn't hit us with that much juice."

"It was only half," I said. "I'm getting more electric."

Ostin jumped out of the van. "Good job, dude."

"Don't start high-fiving yet." I took the lanyard hanging from the man's neck, then looked through his pockets for anything else we could use. I pulled out a thick plastic card. "What's this?"

"That's a magnetic key," Ostin said.

I held up the lanyard. "Then what's this?"

"Either a duplicate or you need two different keys."

"Now what?" Jack asked.

"Tie him up in the van and get ready to roll. Ostin and I will go find my mom and Taylor and bring them here."

"On it," Jack said. "Good luck, dude."

"Thanks for your help."

"I wasn't going to let you have all the fun."

I took the magnetic key on the guard's lanyard and swiped it across the black pad. The red diode turned green and the lock clicked. "We're in."

I pushed open the door. Inside was a long, brightly lit corridor with surveillance cameras on both ends. Ostin and I stepped inside.

"I've got the feeling we're being watched," Ostin said.

"Just act cool," I said. "They'll just think we're food-service guys." I kept walking. "Where do you think she is?"

"Where does the dog hide the bone?" Ostin asked.

"Just talk normal," I said.

"Find an elevator."

There was an elevator at the end of the hall. Inside the buttons were. 4-3-2-l-GL-D.

"What's GL?" I asked.

"Ground level, or garden level if they're being fancy. Push D."

"What's D?"

"I have no idea. But it's below GL."

I pushed the button but nothing happened. Outside I could hear footsteps coming down the hall.

"Look, it needs a key. Try yours."

I shoved it in the slot but nothing happened. The footsteps got closer.

"Try the other key."

I switched keys and the elevator door shut. "That's it."

The elevator began moving down. It stopped just a few seconds later and the door opened. I stuck my head out. We were in another corridor. The overhead lights must have been on dimmer switches because they were barely illuminated. Also there were thick metal doors spaced every fifteen or twenty feet that looked a little like the door to the refrigerated room in the back of the grocery store where my mom worked. There were metal boxes outside each door with bright green diodes. The hall was empty but there were security cameras mounted at each end of the hall. It was eerie being in such a large building and seeing no one.

"What's with all the security cameras?" Ostin asked.

"Mr. Dallstrom would be in heaven," I said. "We better hurry. I doubt the food-service guys come down here." We crept down the hall to the first door. The doors were thick metal with dark, mirrored glass in horizontal slits about four inches wide and a foot high.

I looked through the window on the first door. It was dark inside and I couldn't see anything or anyone. I went to the next door and looked inside. It was also dark, but I thought I could see a faint glow. "I think there's someone in this one."

"Is it your mom?"

"No. Whoever it is, they're glowing."

"It could be Taylor," Ostin said. "Try your keys."

I swiped both of them over the keypad but nothing happened. "It's not opening." I looked up and down the hall, feeling more ner- vous by the second.

"I bet it's a magnetic lock," Ostin said, looking it over. "You might be able to counter it with your electricity." He crouched down to examine it, then nodded. "The secondary magnetic coil should be about here. Let me see your hand. Don't shock me."

I held it out. He guided it to one side of the lock and backed away. "Okay, now."

I pulsed. There was a slight crackle of electricity but nothing happened.

"Give it more," he said.

"Okay." This time I pulsed with everything. The light in the hallway flickered and there was a clicking sound followed by the hiss of escaping air. "Are you done?" Ostin asked.

"Yeah."

Ostin grabbed the door and pulled it open. "It worked."

"All right," I said. I stepped into the room. It was dark except for the dim light coming from the hallway. I looked around, waiting for my eyes to adjust.

"Michael," a voice said. "It's me."

There was a girl lying on the floor in the corner of the room. Even in the darkness I knew who she was.

"Taylor," I said. "We found you."