Chapter 34: Purgatory

Taylor was still unconscious when she was taken by gurney from the holding room into a reinforced cell. She had no idea what time it was when she woke, or how long she'd been out. She was lying on her stomach on a vinyl mat that was too short for her. Her head was throbbing and she groaned with pain. She couldn't see much—the only light in the room was a series of small red diodes blinking from the security cameras—and she was even more afraid than before. She thought of her home, her mother and father and brothers, and began crying. "I want to go home," she said to herself.

"I know," a boy's voice said softly.

She was startled by the voice. She tried to crawl away but couldn't. She couldn't move.

"Be still. I'm not going to hurt you." He gently touched her. She could feel his skin against hers and she entered his mind. It was peaceful and soft and safe.

Taylor looked up. Her eyes had adjusted some to the darkness, and she could see kneeling next to her was an African-American boy. He appeared to be about her age, though he was much larger than her. He was kneeling next to her and gently stroking her back. She could see the pale glow of his skin. He was one of them.

"Please don't hurt me," Taylor said.

"I won't hurt you, Taylor. I'm a friend."

"You know my name."

"Yes."

"Who are you?"

"My name is Ian."

"You're one of them," she said.

"I am one of you, not them."

"Where are we?"

"We're on Level D. This is where they put the disobedient ones. We call it Purgatory."

"Who's 'we'?"

"There are three of us who won't obey Hatch. Four, counting you. So what did you do? Or I should ask, what didn't you do?"

"Hatch wanted me to cause an accident at the motorcycle show. I could have killed the rider."

"That's one of Hatch's tricks."

"Tricks?"

"First, he tries to buy you. He makes you feel obligated so he can manipulate you by guilt. If you're stronger than that he tries to get you to do something wrong. Something small at first, then he increases it. Once you cross the line, he has you. He will hold it over you forever and he keeps upping the ante. You're lucky you're down here. Because if you were still up there, you'd be a murderer."

"My sister Tara's not a murderer."

"Yes she is. Tara, Bryan, Zeus, Quentin, Grace, Kylee, Nichelle, Tanner. They've all sold out. That's why they're up there and we're down here."

"She's my sister."

"She's your twin," Ian said. "She was younger than most of us when they started with her. She couldn't fully grasp what she was being asked to do until it was too late."

Taylor tried to move but the pain made her groan out.

"Just stay still. Nichelle's drained the juice out of you. It takes a while to come back." He left her side, then returned with a cup of water. "Have something to drink. It helps."

Ian guided the cup to Taylor's lips. She drank thirstily.

When she had finished drinking she asked, "Did they do this to you?"

"Yes. Many times. But not as bad. I think they mostly keep me here because my powers aren't as aggressive, so I'm not as valuable to them. That and because I'm blind."

"You're blind?"

"My eyes are. I'm not."

"I don't understand."

"I can see, just not with my eyes. I see the same ways sharks and electric eels see: through electrolocation. Instead of using light waves to see, I use electric waves."

Taylor remembered learning about that in biology.

"Electrolocation has its advantages. Like, it doesn't matter if it's day or night, and I can see through solid objects. You can too, of course—as long as the object permits light waves to pass through them, like glass or ice; but most solids don't. I can see through anything electrons can pass through." 

"You can see outside these walls?"

"I can see outside the school. Unless Nichelle's around. Then I'm blind."

"Can you see me?"

"Yes. You look just like Tara." Ian sat back on his haunches. "I have no way of comparing my sight to yours, since I've never seen through my eyes. But I have a pretty good idea of the difference between your sight and mine. I can also see Glows and I can see how power is used."

"Like Hatch's glasses," Taylor said.

Ian nodded. "Yeah. They studied me to learn how to make them. You know, this place is a laboratory. They're constantly doing experiments."

"Nichelle said they're going to dissect me."

"A dead Glow does them no good. She just knows how to frighten you. It's what she's good at."

"How long have you been here?"

"Three years."

Taylor began to cry. "I can't do it."

"You will. You're stronger than you think you are."

Taylor buried her head in her hands.

"I want to introduce you to the others."

"There're others here?"

"Like I said, there're three of us."

In spite of the pain,Taylor lifted her head and looked around. To her surprise there were two other girls. One was Chinese. The other was a blond with eyes blue enough that Taylor could see them in the room's lighting. Both of them were glowing.

"That's McKenna," Ian said.

The Chinese girl nodded. "Hi."

"Hi," Taylor said.

"And that's Abigail," Ian said.

"Hello," Taylor said.

Abigail knelt down next to her. "Hi, Taylor. I'm going to touch you," she said softly. "It won't hurt. I promise." Abigail gently pressed her hand against Taylor's back, and Taylor felt a light wave pass through her body, taking with it all her pain and fear.

Taylor exhaled with relief. "What are you doing to me?"

"I'm taking away your pain for a moment."

"You're healing me?"

Abigail shook her head. "No. I can't do that. I can only take away pain while I'm touching you. But when I stop it will come back."

"It feels so good right now."

"I'll do it for as long as I can," she said kindly. "It takes effort, but maybe I can hold out long enough for you to fall asleep."

"Thank you, Abigail."

"You can call me Abi."

"Thank you, Abi."

"You're welcome. Now try to get to sleep."

Taylor closed her eyes and buried her head in her arms. Before she fell asleep she said, "I love you, Abi."

Abigail smiled. "I love you too."