Chapter 7: The Cheerleader's Story

If you've ever had a black eye, you'll know what my day was like. Everyone just stared at me like I was a freak or something. By the end of the day I was walking with my head down and my eyes partially covered by a copy of the school paper-the Meridian Warwhoop. Still, the day wasn't all bad. I didn't see Mr. Dallstrom once, and there was no sign of Jack or his friends. I figured I had probably scared them off for at least a few days.

As I walked into biology, my last class of the day, I noticed Taylor Ridley staring at me. I ignored her gaze and sat down.

"Hey," she said. "Are you okay?"

I didn't look at her. As usual my tics started.

She leaned toward me. "Michael."

I didn't even know that she knew my name.

The tardy bell rang and Mr. Poulsen began walking up and down the rows of desks, handing out our tests.

"People, today's test comprises one-fifth of your final grade, so you don't want to rush it. I want complete silence. N'er a word. You know the penalty for cheating, so I won't elaborate, except to remind you that it's an automatic F and an unpleasant visit to Mr. Dallstrom." (Is there any other kind? I thought.) Mr. Poulsen walked to the front of the classroom. "When you're done with your tests, bring them to me, then go back to your desks and sit quietly."

I could see Ostin squirming in front of me, happy as a pig in mud. He loved tests. Sometimes, for fun, he'd download them from the Internet and quiz himself. Clearly something was wrong with him. I pulled out my pencil and began.

1. Which definition best describes a chromatid?

a. Protein/DNA complex making the chromosome

b. Molecules of DNA with specific proteins responsible in eukaryotes for storage and transmission of genetic information

c. Five kinds of proteins forming complexes with eukaryotic DNA

d. Each of a pair of identical DNA molecules after DNA replication, joined at the centromere

D, I thought. D? Or is it A? I was mulling over my answer when a folded piece of paper landed on my desk. I unfolded it.

How did you do that?

I glanced around to see who had thrown it. Taylor was looking at me.

I wrote back, Do what?

I looked up at Poulsen, who was at his desk reading a book, then threw the note back. Within seconds the note was on my desk again.

You know. I saw you do something to those boys.

I sent her another note.

I didn't do anything.

Taylor wrote back.

You can trust me.

I was writing another denial when I heard Mr. Poulsen clear his throat. I looked up. He was standing at the top of my row, staring at me.

"Mr. Vey. Those notes wouldn't have something to do with the test we're working on?"

I swallowed. "No, sir."

"Then you picked the wrong time to share your feelings with Miss Ridley."

I blushed while the class laughed. He walked toward me. I was blinking like crazy. "I think I was quite explicit about the rules. Hand me that note." I looked down at the paper. I couldn't give it to him. If he read it aloud everyone would know.