Author's Note

I was signing autographs at Comic Con when a teenage girl hugged me and said, "I love you, Mr. Evans."

"Thank you," I said. "But why?"

"I'm like Michael Vey," she replied. "I have Tourette's Syndrome. It sucks enough just to have Tourette's, but why do the kids at school have to make fun of me too? But ever since Michael Vey became their hero, they don't tease me anymore. Some even think it's cool I have Tourette's."

"You are cool," I said.

"Veyniacs rock!" she said.

I understand her feelings. I also grew up with Tourette's. I was that kid who sat alone at lunch because no one wanted to be by someone making funny faces and noises.

Michael Vey is the story of a 15-year-old with Tourette's Syndrome and electrical powers. He is one of 17 electric children being hunted by a powerful organization called the Elgen, led by an intelligent, sociopathic man called Dr. Hatch. I wrote Michael Vey for my son, Michael, who, like me, has Tourette's syndrome. I wanted him to understand that, like Michael Vey, he has "electricity" inside that he just needs to learn how to harness. That's true of you too. Anyone who has felt a little different understands Michael Vey, which is why he's becoming the hero of a new generation. Michael Vey helps people see how cool they really are.

When I offered the first Michael Vey book to publishers most of them turned it down. They didn't think it would sell. Imagine their surprise when Michael Vey hit #1 on the New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestsellers lists then continued to spread around the world winning award after award. And, thanks to readers like you, Michael keeps growing. At one of my appearances more than 3,000 kids came to get their books signed. But sales and awards aside, what I still love most is hearing those words, "Mr. Evans, I'm a VEYNIAC!"

Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25 is the first book of seven in the Michael Vey series. In book one you'll get to know Michael, his best friend, Ostin Liss and the girl Michael crushes on, Taylor Ridley. And you'll see them grow and change as they confront Dr. Hatch and the ELGEN. I hope, by the time you finish PRISONER OF CELL 25, you will, like thousands of others around the world, be proud to call yourself a VEYNIAC.

Shock on,

- Richard Paul Evans