Future Connection

Asher was elated. I could feel his excitement through the link. Power surged through both of us, the same power, sorcery and fire magic mixing, making both of us stronger. All our barriers were down now. Our heartbeat was the same, the rhythm of breath, inhaling and exhaling at the same time. Matching one another step for step as we advanced on the rebels. Fire roared around us, consuming everything and everyone in its path. We could hear the elite guard cheering, and somewhere in the distant background, the howl and snarl of wolves.

The rebel army scattered, run down by the wolves, falling back before the flames. The clash of steel on steel sounded, mingled with shouts and screams. The wolves tore into the army, bringing soldiers down, pulling them off their horses.

I remembered what Asher had told me about war. That it wasn’t glamorous, it wasn’t like you saw it in the movies. It was blood and chaos. The rebels and the elite guard crashed together, the noise was overwhelming and everywhere I looked there was dying, bloody soldiers.

Asher didn’t let me dwell on it, I could feel his fierce energy coursing through us, driving us onwards. His thoughts were clear in my head. He was using his body to shield me from the onslaught, knocking back the rebel’s attacks with his broadsword, throwing himself bodily at anyone who came near me. He guarded me savagely, striking down anyone bold enough to get close.

Fire roared from both of us, creating a ring of orange flame that crackled and leapt, crawling over the forest floor. A line of advancing rebels fell, beating at their clothing as the flames licked at them.

Beyond the wall of flame a white horse reared. My heart leapt when I saw that Charlotte had arrived, late to the battle, but never more welcome than now. Behind her Cordy and Lettisha were riding in as well. Cordy had a savage smile on her face and Lettisha looked nervous and excited.

I let myself relax a little - we were going to outnumber them eventually – and sunk deeper into the connection with Asher. I was so deep into the link that I hardly noticed the shouts at first, I was cradling a ball of fire in one hand, attempting to make it bigger.  I finally looked up when two shadowy figures appeared on the edge of the flames. They launched themselves forward, and I fell back, my shout bringing Asher to my side.

There was a blur as one of the figures launched himself over the flames, and then Louis was there, face dark with rage, lashing out at Asher with a pair of long silver blades. Louis’ momentum took him farther than he intended, and he had to regain his balance, giving Asher time to bring his sword up. The clash of swords distracted me momentarily, so I wasn’t prepared to see the other figure launch himself over the flames straight at me. I stumbled back with a strangled cry as Trent appeared, tumbling over onto one knee before picking himself up and starting towards me. He was wounded. There was a long, ugly gash in his right shoulder, but in his left hand he held a wicked looking dagger. His face was mottled red, and his entire body quivered with pent up rage.

“You,” he spat. “Do you know what you’ve done?”

I backed up a step. He looked deranged.

Trent pointed the dagger at me. “She’s not herself anymore. She woke up babbling. This is your fault.”

“She came after me.” I glanced over at Asher. He was still grappling with Louis, being pushed back into our wall of flames.

Trent dove at me without warning. His attack was graceless and wild. He charged me, knocking me off my feet through the wall of flames and sending me crashing to the ground. My back struck hard, and I wheezed in panic, trying to catch my breath, watching him dart through the flames. He stopped briefly to beat out the flames that had started up his leg, and then came straight for me, face twisted with anger and pain. In my panic I forgot about the sorcery at my fingertips. Trent’s hand was suddenly pressing down on my throat, choking me. White spots burst in front of my eyes, and I felt the sharp prick of the dagger on my chest.