The Castle in the Mountain

“They’ve probably been watching the hotel all night,” Asher jammed his thumb into the “down” button and the elevator doors swished shut. My stomach gave that familiar drop, and my grip tightened on the metal bar, feeling more queasy than I usually did riding elevators. I suspected it was more the idea of being chased that was making me feel butterflies.

“Maybe they’ve fallen asleep,” I said hopefully, “you know, TV cop style, falling asleep on the stakeout?”

Asher grinned, “We can always hope.”

We reached the lobby, and he checked in the with the tall blonde lady at the desk, “We’re heading out, gonna try to get a head start on ‘em.”

“Remember to hustle,” she beamed at both of us, “how you doing, Jess? You look less pissed off this morning.”

I couldn’t help smiling at that particular observation, “yeah,” I glanced at Asher, hoping my face wasn’t turning red, “I guess you could say that.”

He shot me a cheeky grin, “thank god for that, I don’t think my skull could take another of your bashings. Ready to go?”

More butterflies is my stomach, “I guess as ready as I can be.”

He turned to the desk, “wish us luck, Kathi. We drive like the wind!”

She waved at us, “Good luck! Run fast!”

That didn't sound reassuring. Asher grabbed my arm just before we went out the door, “as soon as we get into the open parking lot, we run for the van. Run like stink, got it?”

This was already scarier than I’d thought, so I just swallowed and nodded.

Asher threw the door open, and we were both hit by a rush of cold wind. It stole my breath, so I wasn’t prepared when Asher suddenly took off at a sprint, the wind sending his words back to me, “Go! Go! Go!”

I bolted forward, wind whistling in my ears, my feet hammering the concrete, sending shocks up my legs and jostling my sore limbs. I scanned the parking lot, trying to spot some sign of movement, but there was only the same silver truck in the parking lot. The wind was whipping the trees that surrounded the driveway. Anyone could have been hiding there. It was impossible to tell.

We covered the distance to the van, with Asher only a few steps ahead of me, and I tore the door open and threw myself onto the seat, panting heavily. The doors slammed, and Asher started the engine with a roar. His eyes were wide, cheeks flushed red. He almost looked like he was enjoying this.

The van burned rubber as Asher took us backwards, and I pressed my cheek against the window trying to look behind us. Still, I couldn’t see anyone, just tree branches waving.

We sped down the driveway, Asher stomping on the gas so hard that I grabbed the handle above my head, clinging to it for dear life. I could feel my lips peel back in a death grin, and had to repress the urge to tell him to slow down before he killed both of us. Oh God, I hope he’s a good driver!

We whipped around the corner, onto the main road, and Asher gritted out through his teeth, “any tail yet?”

I pressed my cheek to the window again, staring at the side-view mirror, “No one…” the words died on my lips. There was a black SUV hurtling around the bend behind us. Cold dropped down my spine, “Wait…oh crap…”

Asher glanced up, spotted the SUV in the rear-view mirror and grimaced, “not surprised.”

“What now?”

I gasped as the van sped up, tires screeching around each corner. The way Asher handled the wheel, it was obvious he’d practiced this before, maybe on a racetrack. I just hoped I could hold down the contents of my stomach.