Spontaneous Combustion

Note: Play the song for this scene. Seriously. Play it. :D

Asher stepped closer, his fingers were cool on my face. My heart was beating wildly as he brushed his lips over mine, sending a shiver through me. He drew away again, a mischievous grin on his face, and I realized suddenly that he was teasing me.

“Like that?” He asked.

“No,” I growled, “like this…”

 I couldn’t take it anymore, so…I launched myself at him, totally undignified, fingers grasping the fabric of his shirt, yanking him against me. I might regret this later.

He looked shocked, but only for a second, then his hands tangled in my hair and his hips were pressing into mine. His mouth was on mine, sending flash of excitement through me.

The kiss was hot, reckless.

We tumbled backwards onto the bed, and Asher landed on top of me, hands braced on the mattress on either side of my head. His foot knocked a vase off the stand beside the bed and it shattered to pieces on the floor.

We ignored it.

There was no time to think. We were tangled in one another, his hands were on my neck, my shoulders, my arms, running up under the fabric of my t-shirt, his fingers cool on the hot skin of my shoulders, giving me shivers.

His mouth was cool, then hot. It made my lips tingle as he kissed me.

Then it happened, a sudden shift in the air around us, and Asher and I were connected. His heartbeat thrummed through me at a furious pace and I could feel the breath enter and leave his body, feel his chest rising and falling. I couldn’t hold back my gasp of shock, and Asher’s eyes widened.

His thoughts flooded into my mind, and I could feel his entire body buzzing with electricity and…heat. Heat from me. I could tell how he felt, how much he wanted me…and color flooded my cheeks.

The link? He said it without moving his lips. I nodded. It should have been shocking, hearing one another’s thoughts, but with him it seemed as natural as breathing.

Keep going? He could probably hear the tinge of hope in my thoughts.

Hell yes.

It was more intense now. Breathtaking. Now Asher knew my every thought. Where to touch, where to kiss.

I squirmed as he trailed kisses down the side of my neck.

A roar in my left ear made us both sit up, breathing hard, and my mouth dropped open.

The bed was on fire.

The comforter was blackening, orange flames ate at the fabric around our bodies.

“Oh shit!” Asher scrambled off me, beating at the bed sheets, and I sprang up to join him. We rolled the sheets over to suffocate the flames.

“I’m so sorry!” I cried, “I didn’t even realize that was happening. Oh god, that was me…”

The link had broken as soon as Asher got up, and it was impossible to tell what he was thinking. His face was blank. Was he angry at me?

He unrolled the blankets and inspected the burn pattern. “I think we put it out. Yeah.”

We both stared down at the bed. There, in the middle of the comforter was a charred outline of two bodies lying together. I blushed all the way up to the tips of my ears.

“Wow.” Asher blinked, then he looked at me, a grin splitting his face. “We were hot.”

I groaned, sagging against the edge of the bed. He wasn’t mad at me then. “I burnt the bed!”