CHAPTER 15: A CLICHE, ANOTHER CLICHE, AND SOME FOUL LANGUAGE

15

a cliché, another cliché,

and some foul language

“Now just another right here and… Ta-da! This is the hallway where the exit is located!” Toni shouted victoriously with her arms spread out. She took a couple of swirls in the hallway and pirouetted ahead of them.

Iris, Locke, Wire, Flynn, and Korwyn looked around at the hall suspiciously. “Are you sure, Toni? It looked just like every other hall we’ve walked through so far.” Wire asked as he checked his T.S.T to see if it held any useful reading. Sadly, even after they had left the red sirens behind in the storage floor, the building’s security system still shut down his T.S.T every five minutes.

Toni shook her head and explained “Every Resurrected needs to memorize every hallway on the storage floor by heart. If you are a nurse or doctor, like me, you take up a permanent residence on the storage floor and need to memorize every hall and corridor in the entire building. It’s troublesome but it’s worth it.”

“So this is the floor where the exit is… Where does the exit lead to?” Iris asked as she realized that she had never been outside of the building because they had just teleported in.

Toni raised her eyebrows in surprise. “You don’t know? The exit is the only entrance… How did you get in?” Toni asked suspiciously but shook the thoughts away with the trust she had in the group of five in front of her. “Never mind. The exit leads to the Field of Martyrs. It’s a memorial for the original one hundred bodies that were used in the Great War and also a cemetery for those who are still dying in the wars today. It’s visited every once in a while by the family of the soldier but that’s about it, nobody tends to venture into the building. Even if they do, they end up falling into one of the traps.” Toni’s eyes darkened at the mention of the traps and Flynn didn’t like the direction her thoughts were undoubtedly turning so he intervened. “What is beyond the Field of Martyrs?”

Toni looked up and her dark thoughts passed. “Oh, well then it’s just the road and a couple of outlying villages. The reason the building was built on this spot was because it’s a rural area, so not a lot of curious eyes would come to the building for a peek. Since the building is protected and the Field of Martyrs is a national monument, the area remains pretty much unchanged over the millions of years.” Toni replied. She began to walk again and the group strolled after her. Iris had a feeling that something big was about to happen, and it wasn’t going to be good.

“The exit!” Toni proclaimed happily with her arms flattened against another white wall.

“Exit?” Locke muttered, “It looks more like a dead end.” Iris shot him the stink eye and he signed himself zipping his lips.

“Mostly all of the doors in this building are disguised to look like a wall. The only exclusions are the ones used for the hospital rooms. This one is the type that is hidden, and it needs a pass code.” Toni said, looking frustratedly at the wall.

“Please tell me you have the pass code.” Iris said to Toni jokingly, expecting that Toni already had the pass code.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t say that because I don’t have the pass code. Pass codes are only given to the high ranking officers inside the building that received clearance from Lokar and the General. Mere hospital workers like me shouldn’t even be on this floor, let alone trying to get out.” Toni said, turning away from the door and giving Iris an honest smile.

Locke and Iris groaned while Flynn and Korwyn set themselves on the task of trying to figure out how else they could escape and Wire cleared his throat, “Uh… I’m a genius; a doorway had yet to best me.”