CHAPTER 11: SEPERATION

11

seperation

Iris hit a white cushion with a thump. A staggered breath escaped her throat as she hit a stiff surface. She attempted to remember what happened prior to the fall and she shuddered as she recalled the horror of falling through the unknown depths. Her eyesight was blurry but she could tell that she was in a white room on a stiff cot and a ragged pillow under her head. She looked around but stopped as she felt a sudden stab of pain in the back of her head. She gingerly replaced her head on the pillow. She curled her hand around the blue-vial gun and carefully tucked it underneath the pillow. She closed her eyes in hope that she would be safe long enough to recover.

*** *** ***

"IRIS! LOCKE!" Flynn was slamming his fists against the resealed white floors.

"It's too late, Flynn. They’re on their own, hopefully they survived the fall." Wire said as he looked down at the floor, unsuccessfully hiding his worry.

Korwyn reached down and patted Flynn on the shoulder, "Don't worry. Raine is pretty good and she still has the gun. Besides, she has Locke with her, he may not look that strong, but we both know that he can stand his ground."

Flynn clenched his jaw and wiped the moisture off of his eyes. "I hope you are right."

He stood up and had a determined look on his face. He looked to the left of the lever and saw the white hall where they had first encountered the Resurrected, after the floor had opened up, the opening had revealed itself. He took a few deep breaths and then walked out, followed closely by Korwyn and Wire.

*** *** ***

Iris opened her eyes to see a blurry figure in white. She jumped back and was happy to learn that the pain in her head had faded to become only an annoying twang. "Who - Who are you?!" She asked, curling up protectively, reaching for the blue-vial gun that she had hidden underneath her pillow.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." A woman said. Iris' eyes slowly focused and she saw a pretty woman with gray tinged skin writing stuff down in front of her cot. Iris didn't know why, but she felt like she trusted the gray-skinned stranger. She lowered the gun but kept her finger on the trigger, ready for any surprise attack.

The woman lowered the clipboard she was writing on and extended the pinkie and thumb of her left hand. "Hello, my name is zero-three-six-twelve."

Iris looked at the woman confusedly and asked, "That's your name?" The woman just nodded and lowered her extended hand.

"So you're a traveller?" She asked, returning to writing whatever she was writing on the clipboard.

"How do you know that?" Iris asked, wondering how the woman was talking to her without her eyes turning glassy.

"You didn't return my greeting." She said, dropping the pen on the clipboard and shaking her thumb and pinkie. "Anyways, another thing is that you are still alive. Nobody down here is alive because nobody living ever dares venture here."

"What... Nobody down here is alive? What about you?' Iris asked, wondering if trusting the gray-skinned woman was a smart decision. The woman laughed, "Now it's extremely obvious you are a traveller. What goes on down here is extremely well known by the locals but they choose to ignore it. We are the creations of Project Rjaxor 2.0. We are the dead Resurrected."

"What?!" Iris exclaimed. As far as she and anyone else at SOAR knew, the Resurrected were primitive creatures who only knew how to survive, yet here she was having a proper conversation with someone who claims to be Resurrected. The woman laughed, Iris had a feeling that the woman had been popular when she was alive. "I bet you are an agent from the Uni-po. It's a shame, you should just give up all hope right now, there is no way out, just die and wait for them to resurrect you."