V. May, Ch. 54

Shelley fiddled with her backpack straps while she waited for her father outside The Francesca.

     Although she couldn't wait to see Bruce on opening night, which was only a day away, she didn't want to think about seeing him on graduation day.

     She didn't want Bruce to leave, at least not without letting him know how she felt about him first.

     She kept her eyes on the street, waiting for the sight of that familiar, but long forgotten Station Wagon.

     What she got instead was a sports car the color of money, pulling up to the curb with her very own James Dean inside it.

     She smiled so big, it was almost a laugh. "Bruce?"

     He stepped out of the car. Despite still being in his Julian school uniform, he looked rough and dangerous. "Good evening, Miss Hepburn. Need a ride?"

     "I'd love to, but I can't. I'm waiting for daddy."

     Bruce opened the passenger side door wide open. "Yeah, about that. I was at home writing my salutatorian speech when I got a call from Edwin saying he needed a favor."

     "Daddy called you?"

     He stepped up to her to take her backpack off her shoulders. "Yes. He sends his apologies and asks that I make sure you're fed."

     Shelley could hardly believe the relationship between Bruce and her father. Even she didn't get along with him that well. "I didn't know daddy had your phone number."

     "I told you I was good with dads."

     Once Shelley was inside the car, he gave her the backpack. "Put it down by your feet."

     "I can hold it on my lap."

     "No, put it down. You need your lap clear."

     "For what?"

     "You'll see."

     Bruce closed her door and walked around the car to the driver's side.

     Shelley looked out the window at Bruce. His features were so mature for his age.

     She soaked up the scent of Lamborghini leather and Bruce's muskiness, which lingered in the car even if he wasn't in it. It was another thing she wanted plastered into her memory.

     He sat next to her and inserted the keys in the ignition, but didn't start the car. "I have something for you."

     No, please. Stop making it harder to let you go. "What is it?"

     "Do you remember when we first met, I called you Hepburn, and you asked me if I was referring to Audrey or Katharine?"

     "Yes, I remember. You were a real jerk."

     Bruce's face turned a light shade of red. "I know. I'm sorry. I want to make it up to you."

     Bruce pointed to the open glove compartment by her knees. "See that white handkerchief? Take it. It's yours."

     This was the first time Shelley received a gift that wasn't followed by words like "Congratulations" or "Happy birthday".

     But this was the Bruce Cassles method of giving gifts, and aggressive as it was, she wanted to receive all gifts like this.