III. March, Ch. 37

Roger checked his foamy chin in the bathroom mirror, carefully removing the hairs from his skin with the edge of a blade. "You really outdid yourself this time, Cal."

     Calvin was resting against the bathroom doorframe. The words weren't the ones he wanted to hear, even if he agreed. "I had to say something. He was going to cancel the play. And he wouldn't have pulled me aside to talk if you hadn't ratted me out."

     Roger dropped the blade in the sink. He turned to Calvin with an impatient expression. "For the last time, I didn't say anything."

     His anger straightened Calvin out. He shook off the embarrassment. "It doesn't matter either way. Can you help me?"

     "No, I'm not asking Bruce for George Cassle's information just so you could visit him and convince him to bring wealthy supporters to opening night."

     It became harder for Calvin to keep his voice down. "If Bruce told you his uncle was the anonymous benefactor, it means he trusts you. What's wrong with asking him for the address to his uncle's office so we can stop by and thank him?"

     Roger gave up trying to shave and argue at the same time. "He wants to remain anonymous for a reason. And we already thanked him by giving his other nephew the leading role."

     "I'm still not happy that we did that."

     "It is what it is. Those with the money run the world. You ought to know."

     Calvin rubbed his eyes. It was time to draw The Silver Bullet, the leverage token he'd been saving for a rainy day. Here goes nothing. "What if I make it worth your while?"

     Roger turned his head towards Calvin. He appeared partly insulted. "You're going to pay me?"

     "If you help me," said Calvin, "you can take my name off the scripts."

     His friend's eyes ballooned. Release from his penance was here. "I can take your name off... my scripts?"

     Calvin nodded. "All of them. And you never have to add my name again."

     "I don't get it," said Roger. "What do you get out of all this?"

     It was a question Calvin still didn't have an answer for, so he said the first thing that came to his mind. "The chance to be my own man and rise over Marlo."

     Roger looked surprised, and a little impressed.

     "So, will you help me?"

     He picked up the blade again and continued shaving. "I'll talk to Bruce tomorrow."