IV. April, Ch. 46

Calvin was reduced to nothing but a breathing, walking body.

     Three minutes of crying was nowhere near enough. No amount of crying would be.

     He was destined to be alone in the world.

     He yearned for sleep, but not the kind he would wake up from. The sleep he wanted would lead him to another dimension, one where he never moved to San Kolbe in an effort to start a real career and marry a nice girl.

     In this dimension, Genevieve's path never crossed his. They would be two more people in a planet of billions, unaware of one another's existence, unfazed by the actions of the other.

     But he did move to San Kolbe. He did give her his coffee and accept her homecoming invitation. They fought and they reconciled. They shared secrets and moments, laughs and tears, lime wedges and dance floors, mattresses and breakfast tables.

     He met her, and it was the best and worst thing that ever happened to him.

     Students walked by, some happy and others apathetic to their surroundings, but Calvin was in his zone, focusing on nothing more than moving his right leg forward, and then his left one.

     He didn't have a clue how he'd teach third period in his current state. Telling the front office he was coming down with something and going home for the day seemed enticing.

     He turned the corner, when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

     Genevieve? His once blue face flickered with hope. He turned around, expecting to see her.

     It was Marlo, looking as threatening as ever. "Come with me."

     Calvin's smile fell. He picked up on his seriousness, but it didn't scare him. His brother and principal could have his vital organs for all he cared.

     He would have been hurt that Marlo didn't inquire about how he was feeling, especially since he looked so distraught, but what did he expect from a brother who never wanted him around?

     Marlo opened the door to his office.

     Calvin knew the drill. Sit down. Shut up. Apologize. Leave.

     He wanted to ask him about Genevieve, perhaps even get upset with him for having not told him about their past, but it didn't matter. Nothing did.

     Marlo slammed the office door shut. He was holding back his rage, and doing a poor job at it. "Calvin, something's come to my attention, and I need you to be honest with me."

     Calvin slouched back in his usual chair. Yes, I love Genevieve. Now go to hell.

     "Word has gotten to me that you engaged in intimate physical contact with one of your students, during rehearsals for the school play."

     Calvin closed his eyes, more in defeat than frustration. He let out a groan.

     Marlo took a step back, as if he was witnessing an autopsy being performed on a live person. "Goodness gracious, Calvin. Really?"

     "When it rains, it pours," said Calvin.

     "This isn't a game. These are serious accusations with very serious consequences if you're found guilty."

     Calvin made an effort to appear concerned, but his heart was freshly broken and he didn't have the energy. "Would it make a difference if I said she was the one who kissed me?"

     Marlo couldn't believe the words that entered his ears. He searched the room for a bucket to vomit into. "Please, whatever you do, don't say that."

     Calvin threw his hands up. Well, isn't this wonderful?

     Marlo stood behind his desk. He rubbed his face and waited for the room to be completely quiet. "I'm placing you on administrative leave, without pay."

     The words landed on Calvin, but slipped right off like butter on a hot skillet.

     For all he cared, police officers could drag him across the school parking lot in handcuffs and throw him in the most disgusting prison cell, where large men would beat him numb.

     That's what he wanted. He wanted to feel nothing.

     Marlo drew a folder from his top drawer and opened it over his desk in front of Calvin. "While you're gone, I'm launching an investigation on the matter. Until then, your suspension is indefinite."

     He pointed a finger at Calvin. His jaw was clenched as tightly as he could make it. "And you better pray nothing comes up, because if it does, you could be looking at jail time. And Julian could face a lawsuit. You got that?"

     This is why we have unions. All Calvin wanted was to go to sleep. He got up. "I'll go get my things."

     "You're not allowed back in the classroom. I send one of my secretaries to gather your personals."

     "How will they know what's mine?"

     Marlo was ready to explode. The nostrils on his scarlet face flared. "You think this is cute? You're as good as fired and all you can think about is your stupid knick knacks?"

     "Like you'd ever stand by me anyway, Bera."

     The mood in the room shifted.

     "Let's not discuss that now," said Marlo.

     "Tell me, did you get further with her than I did?"

     Calvin regretted asking that question. He didn't want to know the answer.

     Marlo erupted. He slammed his fists down on the desk with such force that it caused a cup of pencils to land on the floor below.  "For crying out loud, Calvin. Do you know how much trouble we're in? Do you have any idea?"

     A few drops of reality seeped into Calvin's skull.

     "I warned you to keep to yourself. I told you these people were not who they claimed to be. You wanted to play with fire and look what happened."

     Calvin's heart rebuilt itself for a second. "Wait a minute. Genevieve had nothing to do with what happened in rehearsals."

     "Really? Are you sure?"

     Perhaps she did. Had I not fallen in love with her, I wouldn't have pushed for Much Ado to be produced. I wouldn't have been fascinated by Beatrice because she wouldn't remind me of her, and Shelley wouldn't have misunderstood my conversation on age differences because I wouldn't have been in love with someone much older than me. He said nothing.

     "That's what I thought," said Marlo.

     A shy door knock interrupted their quarrel.

     Marlo straighten up. "Come in."

     One of his secretaries stood by the door with a box full of office supplies balanced on her hip. Her quiet demeanor told the men that she was standing outside the door for a while.

     Marlo motioned her to enter. "Over here on the desk."

     She placed the box in front of Calvin and left, just as silently as she entered.

     "So, that's it, huh?" said Calvin, "I'm just supposed to sit home and wait to get served?"

     Marlo walked to the door and opened it wide. "Don't leave town."