III. March, Ch. 38

Roger sipped his coffee and kept his voice low. "Bruce told me the old man's kind of a romantic loner, ever since his wife died, anyway."

     Calvin kept his voice just as quiet. He adjusted himself on the very comfortable loveseat. "So, what do you suggest? We act like a couple?"

     "Just don't act like your usual, cold self."

     His smart-mouth comments were becoming too much for Calvin. He needed to make time to discuss that with him, but not now.

     The meeting was originally scheduled to take place in George's Cassles office, but when he heard that the men were from Julian's drama department, he asked Bruce to pass along his home address to have them meet him there.

     The men waited outside of George's Cassles study to talk to him.

     "Remind me, why am I doing this with you?" asked Roger.

     "Because Bruce likes you, and we need all the leverage we can get."

     "We?"

     Calvin heard a wooden door open and shushed Roger.

     The two of them straighten up in their seats.

     After fifteen minutes of fiddling with tea cups and looking around the intimidating house, George Cassles stepped out of his study. We wore a forest green cardigan, was slightly overweight, and despite the dark circles under his eyes, appeared happy and awake. "These must be the Julian men."

     Roger stood next to Calvin. He offered the benefactor his hand. "We are indeed. I'm Roger Stuart."

     George ignored Roger's hand and wrapped his arms around him.

     Calvin was just as shocked as Roger at George's actions. Up close, he could smell the whiskey on his breath.

     George laughed. "Roger, welcome. Bruce tells me you've been such a good influence on him. Thank you. I understand the boy can be a little... edgy at times."

     Roger blushed. "He's great. It's a pleasure to work with him, Mr. Cassles."

     "George, please."

     George turned his attention to Calvin. "And who might you be?"

     Calvin offered his hand, but braced himself for a hug. "Calvin Leblanc, at your service."

     George's smile disappeared. He looked at Calvin like he was staring at his past. "Leblanc, huh? Any relation to John Leblanc?"

     Calvin became nervous. He didn't know what George wanted to hear. "He was my father."

     George smiled again. "Oh, my lucky stars. You're John's boy?"

     "You knew my father?"

     "Years ago, I did. He left quite a mark on his city before the tech boom hit. Didn't he tell you?"

     Calvin frowned a little at his father's workaholic memory. "My father liked to keep his work and home lives separate."

     He patted Calvin's cheek. "Understandable."

     George walked to his study as he spoke. "Well, I'd be more than happy to share some stories with you over a drink. But first, let's talk about the play. How's it coming along?"

     "Very well, George," said Roger. "We didn't know you were a fan of theater."

     George walked to the mini bar and motioned Calvin and Roger to sit. "My Rose loved it. Before she passed, I agreed to support the art somehow, in her honor. What do you boys drink?"