A Lost Love

The sky was purple as the sun set, the stars shining brighter every minute. Lights from the shops lit the way. I barely noticed the cars as they passed by. He held my hand as we walked along the sidewalk. It felt so warm, I didn't want to let go. My heart fluttered each time his thumb made a circle on the back of my hand. All I could do was look into his beautiful brown eyes. It was just walking, but it felt sweet.

We had been together for almost two years. One of our acquaintances invited us to a get-together at her place to relax after finals. She told me that it was a good opportunity to meet new people so I complied. I went to her house thinking I would only meet a few new people. She introduced me to most of her friends, eventually leading to him. Turns out there was a lot in common between him and me. He was into nature, preferred coffee over tea, stuff like that. The two things that caught my attention, though, were his eyes. They were such a rich brown color- golden flecks around the center. It was like anytime he smiled, his eyes would shine so bright. The lines on the sides of his eyes would crinkle in the most adorable way. It was then that I knew I would be his. 

My phone buzzed in my pocket to notify I had received a text.

Are you almost here? -Sam

Be there in five. Meet us outside. :) -Ange

James and I were about to meet Sam and her new fling during a double date. It was our spring break and we decided to take advantage of it. I could already smell the savory pasta from the restaurant; we were just around the corner.

Before we reached the entrance, Sam spotted us and gave both of us a hug. As Sam ushered us inside, James pulled his arm around my waist, making my insides churn. While we walked to the table, Sam told us more about her fling.

"He's kind of shy at first, but once you get a conversation going, he'll loosen up. Oh, and this guy does a lot of sports in his free time, so he's in shape. Please no strength wars." Sam said as she stopped right in front of a table with a man patiently waiting. He seemed a little brooding because of his noticeable muscles but then I looked into his green eyes and saw a kind gentleman- perfect for Sam.

We introduced ourselves, ordered our meals, talked for a while, and began to eat. About half way through the meal, James received a message. He looked at his phone then excused himself to the restroom.

"Babe, I'll be right back." James said, then quickly kissed me on the cheek.

"...and then this guy comes up to us, pulls out his pocket knife, and starts flipping it around in his hand, doing these cool tricks with the blade. He was just asking for a trip to the emergency room." Sam's date continues his story.

"Damn, and I thought you were crazy." she told him with a nudge.

He smirked."I'm crazy for you." He said, as he leaned really close to her. Wow, they really are great together. He totally just made her blush. It's nice to see her blush like that again.

Fifteen minutes passed with small talk. James still hadn't come back from the bathroom. I started getting worried.

"Hey, Alex? Can you go check on James for me? He said he was in the restroom."

He looked at me with uncertainty, then at Sam. Another second passed and he was on his way to look for James.

"Hey, he's going to be fine. He's probably taking his time, if you know what I mean." Sam reassured me.