Just You and Me

I can't begin to describe how I feel right now. Above other things, my heart is hammering, my face feels hot, my chest is tight, and my legs have turned into stone. What just happened? Was I about to...? No. No, that can't be true...can it?

We couldn't have almost-

He definitely didn't-

What could've-

Maybe we should've-

NO! I can NOT! have anything to do with Jesse in that way...

But his eyes are just so-

OH MY GOSH! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?!?!

'Obviously, you like Jesse...AND you almost kissed him.'

Heara! Oh, thank God you're okay! Where'd you go?

'Don't try to change the subject. I saw the way he looked at you.' She says smugly. Of course she saw, she's a part of my conscious, she sees what I see.

I don't know how to reply to her. If I deny him looking at me like that, then she'll know that I noticed it too because I can't lie and she would hear it in my tone. If I admit it, then she'd probably go into some kind of rant about me not stepping up in the game. So, I guess it's time for plan C.

I'm not changing the subject, you are! Why were you M.I.A?

'Oh, and you're not changing the subject,' she says quietly, her tone dripping with sarcasm. 'I didn't answer you because I didn't have the energy to.'

What do you mean 'I didn't have the energy to'?

'Your energy is my energy. When I took over, I managed to strain your body so much that exhaustion kicked in and your mind couldn't handle me until you had some rest. It's like I went into hibernation.'

Okay, I guess that makes sense. So um... What do I do with Jesse? I ask, turning to face him. He had placed his hand down and is now watching me, his face expressionless.

             'You do have an excuse to leave.'

I do?

'Yeah, dummy, Samantha wants to talk.'

Oh my gosh! How can I forget Sam?!

Before I leave, I sit next to Jesse again. I take his hand in both of mine and look into his beautiful green eyes. "I have to go. I'll come by later to check on you again. I expect you to stay in this bed just like Dr. McCalister told you to. Okay?"

He looks at me resignedly then squeezes my hand. He nods and says, "Are you going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine," I reply, standing up and placing my hand on his cheek. I look at him for a second before smiling and softly kissing his other cheek. "I'll see you later."

Turning on my heels, I walk out of the room, down the steps, and into my own room where I find Sam scribbling onto a notebook. She seems occupied so I just sit on my bed and wait patiently for her to finish.

My wait doesn't take that long, though, because after about a minute, she looks up at me and tries to smile. The corner of her lips slightly lift but her eyes don't smile with them. Something is definitely off. As I look at her now, I see a difference in her appearance. Her body looks stronger, as if she'd been working out with the guys or something. Her skin is brighter than her usual hue of light skin, just like the color in her eyes. The way she was concentrating on that notebook seemed as if she was supposed to get something important done, and she was writing in pen. She never uses pen.