Chapter 10 -Getting to the Bottom

I arrived at the hospital. I rushed into the room she was staying at room 341. As I entered the room, a curtain was covering my mom's bed. Dr. Brayshaw comes out from the curtain and sees me. He walks toward me and had a face that didn't seem very thrilled.

     "Hello there, Leroy." He said with a sad tone of voice. He shook my hand.

     "Dr. Brayshaw. What's happening?"

     "The cancer that's in her kidneys are growing. It's to the point that surgery is seriously needed. You can't get the money right now can you?"

     "I am trying my hardest, Dr. Brayshaw"

     "I mean we have other ways to have her pain go away and maybe ease off on her growth of the cancer. However it's not going to kill the cancer cyst. Not without the surgery, of course."

     "Well if you can please, I need more time. I will get the money for sure."

     "Let me guess, you are trying out that tournament with the masks and what not?"

     "How did you know?"

     "Your mother told me you wrestle. I had a feeling. Don't worry I haven't told her."

     "I she knows that I have joined the tournament."

     "I will try my best on seeing if I can buy you some more time. I just don't know how much longer she'll have."

     "How much do you think she will have?"

     "I am going to say a month. But what I am going to do is try to give her a different type of chemo that doesn't make the cancer spread faster."

     "Are you guys still giving her chemo?"

     "We are. For some reason its not working."

     "Maybe this chemo you will give her should help."

     "Hopefully. I'll let you know how everything is."

     "Thank you, doctor."

     I finished talking to Doctor Brayshaw and as soon as I was about to walk into the room,

     "Leroy!"

     I turned and see Italia coming toward me.

     "Italia. Hello. What are you doing here?" I questioned her as I gave her a hug.

     "I wanted to see your mother, since I got some free time."

     "Oh well thank you for that, Italia. I just got here myself."

     "Oh good. How is she doing?"

     "Well I was just talking to the doctor and he was telling me that she....isn't doing so good?"

     "Is it the cancer?"

     I nod my head to her.

     "Well then..."

     We were silent for a bit.

     "Let's go inside, shall we?" I said

     "Yes please."

     We both walked inside. I opened the curtains up and see my mother on the bed. She looked really skinny as if she hasn't eaten anything in days. She looked really sick.

     "Hi mom. Look who I have here."

     "Hi Lupita. Remember me?"

     My mom opened her eyes slowly and turned her head to look at us. Italia was standing next to me. I then walked on the other side of the bed.