Chapter 29

"Lilly," Steve slid down against the door and sat on the floor. He struggled to say something and sighed loudly. "You were tricked. It's alright. I understand. I really like you, Lilly. I don't want you to blame yourself."

Easy for him to say. He had never been tricked that way before. Blaming myself is the only thing I can do... I put my head in my hands as I leaned forward on the bed. I groaned and curled up into a ball on my bed. I heard him say it. He really likes me. Those words rang in my ears and lifted my heart a bit.

Steve had been at the door for an hour by now. His persistence was a strong quality of his, but right now, I didn't care for it. "Have I told you about Peggy?" His voice became quiet, almost like a whisper.

I perked up and listened intently. This was the first time he actually talked about her in front of me. He was really opening up to me.

"She...uh..." He hesitated and tried to piece words together. His voice shook a bit, "She was my first love. Back then, women in the military weren't treated as they are today. But, she made it through. Peggy's strong will and drive for success is what got her to be one of the founders of S.H.I.E.L.D.. She believed in me when everyone else saw me as a joke. An experiment with no purpose. A one man army that no one needed." Steve cleared his throat. This must have been a hard topic for him. "She's the reason I even got to be Captain America in action. She was my first kiss. Her voice was the last I heard before I went into the ice..."

I stayed quiet. My heart ached for a whole other reason now. Before he went into the ice, he probably hoped to start a life with Peggy. After he came out, she's too sick to even remember him at times. That's why he wanted something new. His love for her would never go away, but at least he could love someone else and try to be happy. And as he said at the café, that started with me.

Steve sucked in a breath and chuckled, "You're a lot like her. Strong. Tactical. Caring. Determined. Lovable..."

I waited for him to say more. Comparing me to a loved one warmed my heart. Knowing how badass Peggy was, it gave me more confidence. That wasn't going to help the fact that I almost killed him, though.

Natasha's voice became audible and got closer to the door. "Come on, Rogers. Give her some time." A rustling sound echoed against the wall and went away. She must have taken him to the living room or something.

A knock rose from the door. "Lilly, open up," Peter stated. When he was greeted with silence, he wiggled the door handle and pushed against the door. "Lilly, let me in."

If I didn't let Steve in, what makes him think I was going to let him in? I thought to myself in wonder. I just wanted to be alone. Didn't the boys understand that? I could have killed Steve. I was easily tricked into doing something I would have regretted for the rest of my non-ending life. I just...wanted to let it sink in before I had to face him again.

The outside hall fell silent. When I strained to listen, I could hear the faint sounds of the television playing a comedy. Somebody slammed the fridge door shut. Natasha laughed and Clint struggled with something. They were probably cleaning the floor from the bodily fluid and bodies littering it.

A loud crash came from above me. Must be Tony dropping something again. Pepper needs to teach him how to fix his clumsiness.

The small door to the vent in the wall hit the floor. Peter soon followed and crashed against it, moaning in slight pain.

I rushed to him. Had he been hurt? He was still recovering from the bullet wound to the shoulder. "Peter, why did you crawl through the vent? You could have opened your wound! Or stuck."