A magical world.

My world was at one time magical. You could even say, mystical...

See my name is Annika Monova and I was a ballerina in the Russian Ballet at that time. I went one of the best ballet schools in St. Petersburg. I was just turning 17, that year. It was Christmas time and our school was getting ready for our big premiere of The Nutcracker Ballet.

Every girl was horribly excited. From our youngest girl, who was just 6, to our oldest, who was 24. We were all trying out for the big production. It was crucial for the best ballerina to be chosen. The Tsar himself was going to see it! Tingles ran up and down my spine as I thought of it. The Tsar of all Russia! Watching our ballet school perform! I was next in line for Prima. As my older sister, Katya WAS the Prima.

It was December of the year 1914 and the snow seemed to sparkle on the ground. My sister had just been invited as a guest to the ball at the Alexander palace. She was a guest of one of the Tsar's best generals, who she was head over heels in love with.

"Oh, Annika! I am going to a ball with Igorek!" Her blond hair and blue eyes gave her the look of an angel as she danced around the room practicing the part of Clara. I was also practicing for the same part. This was the only performance of the year, where a lower ranked ballerina would have the chance to have the main lead over the Prima.

"Yes, Katya." I said. "It will be grand. Imagine the palace! The people! The GOWNS! Oh, and, I am sure Mr. Sidorov is a fine man!"

Katya laughed her magical fairy laugh as I had called it as a child.

"Yes Annika! He is better than fine. He is amazing, wonderful, and splendid! All of it! You silly girl the ball will be more than just gowns!"

"Oh, please tell me what the Tsarina and her daughters were wearing?" I begged. I was a fool for fashion back then.

"Oh, Annika! How do you know I will even see them?"

"I know because, Igorek will introduce you to the Tsar and then you will get to meet his wife the Tsarina and then you will see the wonderful gowns the Grand Duchesses are wearing."

"Ach!" She sneezed and continued, "Annika, pull your head out of the clouds, my dear sister! You are too much for fashion." That had made me remember my new ballet shoes.

"Oh, Katya thank you! I almost forgot that Andrey is bringing my new pointe shoes!"

"Oh....the handsome young man who is the physician's son?" She asked, grinning.

I just shook my head. Now Katya was the fool.

"Yes. That's him. His father isn't just ANY physician, Katya! He is physician to the Tsarvitch!"

"That he is Molodoĭ. Now, go get those new shoes!"

I didn't need telling twice! I ran to where I planned to meet Andrey. I met him at the door of the ballet school. He was waiting for me, with the shoes in his hands.

"Oh thank you Andrey! They are simply lovely!"

"Ah! That they are, Tantsor." Andrey said. Tantsor is 'Dancer' in Russian.

Andrey had lovely brown hair and sparkling gray eyes. He was tall, like his father, and also well built. He only called me 'Dancer', when it was just him and me or us and Katya. It was my nickname from him.

"Thank you for bringing them! I will make sure that you have a second row seat, next to Shchelkunchik!"

"Ah, but why the second row, Tantsor? The Nutcracker surely isn't sold out yet, is it?" He teased. His gray eyes looked at me.

I laughed and smiled. "No not yet. But the first row is for the Tsar and his family." I said with a large smile.

"Ah, sure! That's what I get for being best friends with a ballerina." He said his eyes twinkling at the joy of teasing me.

"Andrey, stop it, you goose!"

"Annika! Are you finished yet?" Katya called out to me.

"I must go, Andrey! See you soon!"

"Yes, you will."

I ran off towards the practice room, where my sister and some other girls were.

"Ah! It took you long enough!" Katya said, laughing.

"Well, I am here now, sister." I slipped on my new shoes, tearing the shoe a bit. Wow! They fit perfectly!

This is how life was for me, simple, happy, with no worries in the world, except for a torn ballet slipper. And if I was the one to take the part of Clara. But it won't stay this way though. My young mind at the time couldn't even imagine how the world would change.

Hey everyone! This is my VERY first book on Wattpad so please leave comments so I can learn how to better it!

Thanks!

Giselle

Molodoĭ means Young one,tanstor means dancer,and da means yes. :)