Forever leaving

Nothing will ever compare to the feeling I had when I was packing to leave Russia. It's wasn't the exciting feeling you get when your packing to go on holiday. Or the sinking feeling like when someone dies. It was more of a surreal feeling.

After months of saving to leave it was happening. In two days. We were leaving Russia forever. Never to return.

Most people I knew had already left for neighboring country's but I was the only one going to America. A cousin of Andrey's had offered us a place in Germany but we both knew that the safest place was America.

That night slipping into my ice cold bed thoughts flooded my head. What would life be like? Would we have a house? Goodness Andrey and I weren't even married yet!

That thought hit me like a rock. What if we never married? What if he didn't want to marry me? Would he leave us stranded in a new place at the sight of another pretty girl?

I shook my head and sighed. No that wasn't like Andrey. I knew him well he would never leave me...would he? I fell into a fitful sleep one of those where you don't dream at all and it feels like you've been awake the whole time.

The next day passed in a hurry. I barely had a spare moment to spare with Andrey.  Between checking tickets,suitcases,taking care of the girls it was all a whirlwind.

Meanwhile seeing my normal life flash before my eyes. Yes I had a wonderful childhood. Filled with ballerina's,presents,ballet's but now it was all a dream. A wonderful dream I would replay in my head until the day I died.

"Annika you really should rest. You have a big day ahead." I quickly snapped out of my day dream to face Madame Markova.

As a child she had been like a mother to me. Other people never saw past her strict ways and tight bun. I knew she was just as sweet as any women and it pained me horribly to leave her behind.

"Oh are you sure you won't come with us? I am sure we could afford one more ticket for you. Imagine it we could all go together as a family!" Hope sparked inside of me at the prospect of having a family again.

"No child. Russia is my home and always will be. I have a duty to the girls here. When I was just your age I promised to train young girls into beautiful ballerina's. I have succeeded with you but I have many more." Her soft smile hid what she really felt.

Tears sprang to my eyes but I quickly banished them. She was right. Her duty was very important and I had no doubt she would keep all the girls in the school safe.

"Oh Madame!" I hugged her like I was 6 years old again. She was a big part of me and I was leaving it in Russia.

"Ah now stop that! You will have a wonderful like my prima. I promise it. Andrey will take good care of you! Now here I have something for you." She pulled a little brown box from her dress pocket and handed it to me her hands shaking.

I opened it slowly and inside there was a little rattle. Cold and metal with a little pink ribbon. Old but in new shape.

"That dear was your mothers then Katya's and finally yours. Katya wanted you to have it for your children since Natya had many toys. It's yours now and with your locket Russia and your family will never be far from your heart. Ever."

"Thank you!" I couldn't stop the tears from coming and Madame just smiled and patted my hand.

"Now it is time for rest. I already put Natya and Alisa to bed although I doubt either is sleeping. Tomorow is a big day my girl." Kissing the top of my head she left. I was still clutching the little rattle and I carefully rested it back in the box and started toward my room only to bump into Andrey.

"Oh good! I was looking for you." His smile seemed to light up the whole hallway and I couldn't help but smile either.

"Well go on! What is it?" I knew something was going on because when Andrey was keeping something from me he always chewed his bottom lip no matter if it was good or bad.

"Do you still have that light blue dress? The one that makes you look like an angel?"

"Andrey!" I blushed deep red hoping no one else was in the hallway but hearing several little snickers there were little ballerina's laughing at our conversation.

"Well do you?" His deep laugh made me laugh too.

"Yes,yes I still have it. Actually I think it still needs to be packed. How I forgot about it is beyond me!"

"No don't pack it! Wear it tomorrow and you and the girls meet me in the garden 7 in the morning sharp."

"Well..alright." Before I could say more he quickly kissed my cheek and ran down the hallway.

"What in the world has gotten into him?" I murmured befuddled. I shrugged my shoulders and hummed all the way to my room. Whatever secret he was keeping would surely come out tomorrow since we were leaving.

I slipped into bed next to Alisa and stayed awake impatiently wondering what secret Andrey could possibly  have.

Hey everyone!

Thank you SO much for reading this and I am really sorry it's so short but the next chapter will be much longer. I've been so busy lately and I am horribly sorry that it is so sort. Please don't hate me XD

Always

Giselle