The Nutcracker

I spun around in the glorious blue dress I was wearing. It was my kostyum. My costume. I spun around once more and heard Andrey's deep laugh.

"Now what exactly are you laughing at Andrey Antonov?" I asked turning to him.

"You! You seem to be in love with your apparence." He was still laughing at me.

"Andrey! You know I must look good for this show! It's is important!"

"Da. I know printsessa" He said with a teasing smile.

"Do I really look like a printsessa?" I whispered under my breath. I didn't have to look like a grand duchess. I never could for they are ranked even higher then a princess. If for one night I could look like a princess I would be happy.

"Annika! Annika!" It was Valentina in her costume. Oh! She made a lovely Clara. With her blond hair falling down her back like a waterfall. Soft brown eyes dancing with excitement.

"Oh Valentina you look lovely!"

"You both look lovely." Andrey cut in.

"Oh Andrey shoo! Go! You can see us in the ballet in an hour!" His chuckle followed down the hall but he had listened to me.

"Come Valentina! We must get the others ready! The show is about to begin!"I said with laughter.

"Yes! I can't wait!" We ran into the small dressing room we all shared and made sure all was ready. Then I made sure Valentina was ready. She had to look her best.

"Annika!" Katya had caught me. I was peeking through the curtain hoping to get a glimpse of the tsar. Hey what can I say? I was curious!

"Yes?" I asked.

"Get away from that curtain and finish to help the young ones get ready!" I sighed and did what I was asked.

This was it. I heard the beautiful music play. I was dancing as one of the adults in the party scene. The steps came so easily. Without any effort. I was lost in a magical world. I wasn't so lost as to not notice the tsar in the first row though. He sat regally in his seat. As usual in his uniform dripping with medals. Spectacular metals. His was shorter then I had thought but he was still impressive. I wanted to cry I was so happy! The tsar! At my ballet school! Watching a ballet I was dancing in! Next to him was his wife the tsarina.

People disliked her because she was what they called the German princess. I saw nothing horrible in the tsarina. She seemed very misunderstood. Her daughters sat by her side in order. Olga,Tatiana,Marie,then finally the impish Anastasia. Olga sat tall and regal like her mother. She was a beautiful girl but nothing like her sister Marie. Tatiana sat twirling a loose string on her dress. She was quickly reprimanded by Olga. Then pretty Marie. She was said to be the prettiest of the four. She sat wide eyed watching the ballet. Then Anastasia. Mischief already in her eyes. There was something about the young child. Something special. The tsarvitch sat by his father looking bored.

Suddenly the music stopped and I went back to the dressing room to change into that lovely blue dress again.

"Oh Annika you were lovely!" Katya said hugging me.

"Thank you." I said. I knew I was probably blushing.

The night went in a blur for me, What I remember clearly though is my part. I had danced along the stage filled with happiness. Filled with hope. I made no mistakes. It was all perfect. Every last move. The only eyes I saw that night though belonged to Andrey. He stood quietly near the curtains watching. I don't know why but he was the only person I noticed. Finally I stopped. Out of breath. I didn't dare show it though. I just smiled my best smile and curtsied. Then I got off stage and nearly collapsed exhausted. It was a full night that was for sure.

I grinned. Tomorrow was Katya's ball. I groaned in my bed as I heard shouting outside again. Why all the anger? Why all the hatred? What had happened? It was almost as if people had changed over night. I was too tired to think any longer. I fell asleep quickly