Chapter 17 - The Beacon Rekindled

When the next day came, sun high over the horizon, the door of Leah's tower was opened.

She tried to sleep. She really did. But every time she closed her eyes all she could see was the dungeons, Ryan getting tortured with scalpels, water and being covered in gallons of his own blood, never allowed the escape of death.

She couldn't see him like that, so she kept her eyes open, letting everything around her keep her occupied until the Viceroy entered the room. 

With a quick introduction and order to get properly dressed, he awaited Leah outside. She didn't really know what he meant, at first, so she just put something else on. Maybe he didn't like the colour or something? She didn't really care. Leah went to the door and was led down the stairs, her head spinning long before they got to the ground.

"What's happening?"

"There's something that Boss wishes to show you."

"Why?" She asked. "He's never cared before."

"Well that wasn't entirely his fault."

Leah's voice became bitter. "He put me in a soldier's camp and didn't flinch for a second to flog me or-or throw me in the damn dungeon!"

"That was for your own good. Besides, he couldn't be biased."

"Excuse me, he still could've- could've- look it's not about that. Just acknowledging me would've been nice."

"He did. He gave you certain... priorities."

"Priorities?! Is that what you call them?"

"That is what I made sure to give you, food and extra blankets."

"That's complete bull-"

"Hold your tongue!" He stopped in his tracks, facing her ferociously. "You will show respect in Boss' palace."

"Respect is earned." Leah muttered, words echoing from Heather. "Not bought."

"Perhaps you should consider how much your little friend in the dungeon is worth. Maybe then you will be wiser to keep quiet."

For a second her blood froze at the thought of him. Each nightmare coming back and slapping her violently in the head several times before making that guilt come back. Twice as strong. Leah didn't dare let it show, bottling it all within her. Along with the hate and the anger, following Viceroy quietly to wherever they were to go.

****

She was pushed into a place that she didn't know. One which had corridors as rich as the room she was in the night before, all around her it was unfamiliar and unnerving. Paintings of past heroes and kings and queens peering down at her. She continued to follow the Viceroy, trying to understand what was going on. She had so many questions, and she was hoping that at least she would get a few of her answers.

They entered one final door - this one different from all others. Not from how it looked, but how it felt when she went through. 

"Ryan." she cried.

Behind a thick pane of glass, she could only watch helpless as Ryan was strapped at a table. There was whiteness was everywhere, sterilization and surgical tools. Just as he was in there, she was stuck in some sort of viewing room.

One which had tables and chairs, comforts and refreshments, but she wasn't using them. She was up against the window, her hands pressed onto the glass. Wanting to punch through with just her fists if she had to, just to get to him, to get him out.

She kept calling out his name, knocking her hands on the glass to get his attention.

But then she saw it. Saw the completely white eyes that replaced his light brown ones, the pale skin that seemed unnaturally grey. And the growls. The inhuman, unnatural sounds that she knew so well, but couldn't believe were coming out of his mouth. He wasn't responding to any words that she was saying. Or even recognising her face. Because he was already gone.