xxxvii. THE DIVINE MOVE

✢ ✢ ✢

Silence hung over four teenagers like a thick blanket. Despite the fact that Scott and Foster were seated next to each other, neither of them made an attempt to hold hands like usual. Despite the fact that Foster and Isaac were also next to each other, the partners in crime were desperate to avert one another's gaze. After the events that had happened prior, and Isaac's confession while he was under the control of the Nogitsune, the two were silent around one another.

Beside Scott sat Lydia, her eyes wide and fingers laced together as she tried to hold herself together. She had felt Allison die before it even happened, and she was never going to see her best friend again. 

Isaac felt like he was part to blame due to the fact that Allison died saving him, while the blonde beside her felt guilt eat away at what was left of her. If Foster wouldn't have been so stupid, Allison would have never died. Scott, on the other hand, was shell shocked that he just watched his first love die in his arms. He heard her last breath as clear as day.

The death of Allison Argent was the reason as to why the four teenagers were seated in the Sheriff's station, Deputy Parrish interrogating them about the events that lead up to this moment. They were the four witnesses to the scene, Chris Argent coaching them all on how to react to what they would ask.

In their minds, a lone mantra continued to play.

It all happened so fast, I saw something sharp, it was a guy and he was masked.

Foster's blue irises were trained at the tile floor beneath her of the Sheriff's station, curses and self loathing thoughts repeating in her mind. She's the reason Allison was dead, and it was something she was going to have to live with for the rest of her life. Forever, in the eyes of her friends, she would be seen as the one who killed Allison. How did she expect Scott and Lydia to ever look at her the same?

Hell, Foster couldn't even look at her reflection the same way again.

"Can you remember anything else?" Parrish's voice sounded, neither of the four glancing up or bothering to answer. In his hand was a small notebook for him to jot down the events, none of them wishing to relive them again. "Anything else? Isaac?"

Shakily, barely audible, Isaac whispered, "I'm sorry - it just happened so fast."

Each and every word he spoke was agonizing to speak.

For the rest of their lives, they will be left with the agonizing memory of their friend dying right in front of them; helpless as it happened. 

✢ ✢ ✢

The aftermath of the night's events continued to replay within Foster's mind. She could explicitly hear the sound of the Oni's blade slicing through Allison's flesh, a sound that would repeatedly haunt her nights for the rest of her life.

Unlike herself, Scott, Lydia, and Isaac; Kira and Noshiko had taken Stiles to their home. He was in too weak of a state to go to the station, and at least the Noshiko's could keep an eye on him in case anything happened. 

After finally going through the lie repeatedly, one too many times, Parrish released the four teenagers. Scott, Foster, and Lydia had parted ways with Isaac, Isaac deciding he needed to be with Chris while he grieved his daughter. Chris may believe he can handle the situation, but they knew he needed someone. After losing his sister, his wife, his daughter, and having his father betray him, Chris needed all the family he could get. Even if it came in the form of his daughter's supernatural friends.