Chapter 3

Maddy's POV:

My dreams were always the same. Fire. Me burning in an overpowering heat, almost drowning in flames on top of flames as I tried to scream through my blistering throat. I always had the searing pain of the red inferno scorch and blacken my skin to ash, had them devour me and everything around me to nothing: though there was only one thing around me; darkness. No matter how bright the fire may be there was nothing around me, and the fire never finished the job. As I screamed, a man sometimes appeared. His body silhouetted by the flames and his face never shown. He slowly came closer and closer but he never reached me. I always woke up before he could. Tonight, however, I was alone.

Someone banged on the door. "Prince Zuko, we should be arriving at the port within the hour." I heard Captain Jee call through the metal. Great, now I get to watch Zhao get his ass kicked...wait, within the hour?! How long had I been asleep? I opened my eyes to find myself on Zuko's bed.

'That dumb bastard put me here when I was sleeping. I am going to kill him when I see him.' I thought to myself. Glancing around the room I saw Zuko taking his shirt off.

'Every damn time I look at him he's shirtless.' I complained to myself. I wasn't complaining about the sight as much as I was the effect it had on me. I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"You're awake." He stated without turning around. He put the shirt in his closet.

"Noticed. Why am I on your bed?" I asked accusingly.

"I put you there. You should be thankful; once I did it seemed like your nightmare ended." It was a decent excuse, but it still pissed me off.

"Whatever. Just don't do it again. I was perfectly fine on the floor." Which was a complete lie, but he needed to sleep on his own bed. Why was he making such a big deal out of this?

"I won't need to. You will be sleeping in my bed from now on. And before you can argue," he turned to see me opening my mouth to do just that, "know that if you do not I will put you on the bed every night until you accept that you will sleep there."

"What? How can you- why would you? Ugh! Fine."

"Really?" he seemed surprised. "You aren't gonna fight me about it?"

"Do you want me to?" I challenged.

"No. It's just unexpected. Is this you trying to be nice?"

"Oh God. Did the high and mighty Prince Zuko just try and make a joke?" I asked playfully.

"I'm not high and mighty."

"I disagree."

"I have no honor."

"Again with the honor? You are obsessed with this whole thing. Your father can't take your honor from you, dummy." I put my hand on his shoulder and looked into his eyes, they looked pained by the conversation. "Only you can do that. Your honor is yours and yours alone, and if you lose it only you can find it." It seemed like I had gotten through to him, his eyes showed him trying to understand and believe me; then they hardened.

"You're wrong." He pushed past me and left alone.

"God, I can't do anything right!" I punched the metal wall, hurting my hand. "damn it! Why does he have to be so freaking stubborn?" Unfounded anger at both him and myself welled within me. I stormed off to the back of the ship where I was sure no one would see me before I let an outraged stream of fire leave my palm. I tried to work this out in my head

"I'm so stupid!" I shouted at myself as a burst of fire erupted from my palms. No one was around to see my small tantrum. I had only so far been able to control fire when it was held in my hands, but not as it engulfed my palm without ever really touching me. Wanting to put my new skill to the test, I got into the stance Zuko had shown me only yesterday and punched the empty air. The fire flew from my hands into the open space above the wake of the ship. I then swiftly moved my leg in a kick and had the same effect with the tip of my foot; I could now actually fire bend, at least I did one thing right today. My mood didn't lighten in any way, but instead, it only darkened. I went inside to Zuko's room again. This time, however, I beelined to his bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror.