Chapter 1

Maddy's POV:

I felt myself regaining consciousness from my fitful sleep. My constant nightmare of being burned alive tortures my subconscious mind. Burning may not sound terrible to some, but for me, it was my greatest fear. Pyrophobia is what they called it and despite what other people think it is a completely logical fear.

"Wake up." I heard a male voice demand. My brothers clearly had no respect for personal boundaries. They knew full well my room was off limits.

"Shut up Zach. give me five more minutes" I then noticed bits of light seeping through my closed eyelids. "and turn the damn light out!"

"I am not Zach."

"Fine then," I muttered. "Braeden, get the hell out of my room before I throw you out." when I didn't hear movement, I took the pillow I had pinned between my arm and my head and frisbeed it to where I thought he was standing. "Big brother I swear I will make you regret breathing if you don't leave." I still hadn't opened my stubborn eyes and I now used my arm as a pillow. I'll admit, I may be a bit on the violent side.

"I am not your brother." the voice replied. Having had enough of this game I opened my eyes angrily and pushed myself off of the... hard, metal ground? and upon gazing at where I suspected the voice to come from I realized it was not either of my brothers standing there, but a boy around my age with a ponytail. I raised my fists in response.

"Who the hell are you?!" I shrieked at him, trying to figure out where I was but nothing made sense in my mind. I was surrounded by water and more specifically an ocean, but how could that be when I lived in a desert. "where the hell am I?"

"I am Prince Zuko of the Fire Nation, and you are on my ship," he replied angrily. For an impersonator, he certainly got the personality down, and the looks, but there was no way he was who he claimed to be.

"Ya, and I'm a four-hundred-foot tall giraffe with pink wings and green spots."

"What?" Ponytail seemed confused.

"Look, babe, Zuko doesn't exist, the Fire Nation doesn't exist, the Avatar doesn't exist, and bending is a joke. So please cut the act and get me the hell off this thing and send me back where I belong." I dropped my fists and looked at him . "And while you're at it, tell me who hired you so I can break their nose when I get there."

"If bending doesn't exist then what are you doing with your hands?"

"My what? Babe, I really don't have time for-" I glanced at my hands, and they were on fire. Needless to say, I began screaming.

"Stop it! Stop it! Please make it stop!" I cried out while waving my hands like a madwoman. Ponytail then came over and held my shoulders as I cried out.

"Look at me," he commanded. "Look at me and focus on my eyes. Calm down. If you don't calm down it will only get worse." he forced my gaze from my engulfed hands to his face. I then realized he had a very nice face, and then that my hands didn't hurt. I noticed his eyes were a beautiful amber color that reflected the sunlight perfectly, then that I was hyperventilating. I immediately stopped. Next, I observed the scar on the left side of his face, a terrible and horrible mark that somehow still completed him and did not deteriorate his looks at all; then my fire went out.

"Thank you," I whispered in relief.

"You've never done that before have you?" He asked, still holding my shoulders.

"No. Of course not, it's impossible."

"As impossible as you suddenly appearing on my ship this morning?"

"Ya," I began to question my own sanity. That was impossible and absurd and completely inconceivable, and yet also completely true. There was no other explanation. "that impossible." I stood up shakily with him helping me regain my balance.