Confessions

Chapter 40

My eyes flutter open and I look around. I'm in a dressing room, attached to a chair, in front of a mirror. I felt my head get tugged.

"Won't be long now."

I look in the reflection and see Julie behind my chair!

"What are YOU doing here?"

"Don't pick a fight with me today. Cause I may just save your ass."

"Huh?" I try to squirm in my chair but rope crisscrossed my body, holding me securely down. "What's going on?? Where am I?"

Julie only sighs. "You're a prisoner. They told me to get you ready."

"Ready for what?"

"The show."

"Show?"

"Yeah. The boss likes to be entertained. And your story interests him the most."

I froze in horror. So I was actually caught this time. How could I be so stupid? If I had listened to Prince...

I watched Julie brush my hair. She used long, gentle strokes.

"You know...." She began to say quietly. "From the very moment I saw you, I was instantly jealous."

"Of me?" I was surprised.

"Yep. I remember I was finished with a side job and at the local diner, I heard Mindless Behavior on the tv. I look up and see the cover story on the news. When they showed your face, I knew..."

I stayed quiet. I've never seen her like this.

"I knew that Jacob would fall in love with you. I knew it deep down. By that time, tensions between us had worsen and we broke up. I was fine for awhile, thinking he would come running back to me. That wasn't the case at all. I know you think I'm a hoe. I am one. My mama did it, had me, and I did it. Her clients used to do horrible things to me...."

"Why? Why didn't you stay in school? You would be much happier."

"Because life kicked my ass. And I was too weak to face it. When things got difficult, I quitted. I thought it would be easier to sell myself. But I'm wrong. There's nothing I can change. No one can change their past. Then there's you. You have people that care about you, about your well being. Mama never cared, Daddy is who knows where she don't even know who my father is, my whole family is ashamed of my mother and I." She takes a deep breath. "You're so beautiful and happy and...it's all I ever wanted." Her voice drifts off.

"Then why are you here now? Working for a gang. You can run away and be free."

"How wonderful that'll be. But you don't understand. Gangs aren't something new you try in a candy shop. You are blood sworn. Death is the only way your leaving."

She switches from my hair to doing my make up.

"What they are doing with you, it's evil. If it was in my power, I would stop it. But I can't. They have control over me."

"They want my necklace don't they?"

"Yes, but you are more important. I wish they just left you alone. Though, you were born to do this."

"What? You know....?"

"The Legend of the Wolves." We said at the same time.

Julie looked surprised. "How did you..?

"From different sources. Do you really know all of it?"

"Maya I am one of the top people in this gang."