Chapter 1: New Friends

Maria

I took a breath in and let out a sigh. Fourteen hours on the plane, a little bump in the road by a rude pain in the butt, and I have till tomorrow to recover, can someone just kill me now. This school is huge compared to the universities back home in Philippines. I marvelled at the medieval stones, even tracing my finger on its rough texture while walking up the steps, looking for the orientation room. I stopped at an open ledge and mused at the large clock tower. Then it struck three o'clock. "Ay! The orientation is starting!" I cried, I tore my eyes away from the clock and ran down the hallway.

I kept running; I looked back at the clock then back only to bump into someone I fell to the ground with a hard bump my glasses fell off and landed beside me, "Aray, not again!" I hissed but then looked up to see who I bumped into "Are you okay?" I asked the girl

"Mon dieu!" she looked up, her brown eyes met mine, and then she frantically sat up on her knees "I'm sorry! Yes I'm okay" I got up and offered my hand to the dark haired girl

"No it's my fault, I wasn't looking" she took my hand with some caution, I smiled at her I bent down to grab my rectangular glasses and placed them back on. I got a better look at the girl. She was slightly shorter than I am. Her dark hair was in two low pigtails being held by two red ribbons. "I'm Maria" I said breaking the slight tension.

"Michelle," she said, fiddling with her plaid skirt. Shelly looked up at the clock then gasped "Mon dieu! I'm late!"

"Are you going to the orientation too?"

"For the new students?" she asked "Yes, I got a little...side tracked"

"Well, you were going the wrong way"

Michelle hung her hand "First day here and I'm already clueless"

I bit my lip "Well, don't think of yourself that way. I don't think you're clueless"

Shelly looked up "really?"

Smiling, I nodded "Yes, now let's go. I think this Mr. Kirkland person doesn't like people who are late" I took Michelle's hand and we both quickly walked down the hallway, being careful not to bump into anyone else. We finally reached the orientation room. This wasn't hard to find when there is a big, bright sign saying "Orientation Room" right above the door.

I was about to knock until I heard a grumpy English voice say "Come in," I looked at Michelle, she clung onto my arm "I know that voice" she whispered with a slight smile. I took a deep breath and opened the door. I stood at the door frame shocked at the sight of large caterpillars on this boy's face. Wait, those aren't caterpillars. They're his.....eyebrows!?

He shut his notebook and looked at us "Sit down" he said in his British accent "you both are late" he scowled at us but I nodded in apology.

We took two seats that were available up front. But I couldn't help but look at the other students in this orientation. They were all from different countries and of course age group. The boy, who I assumed was Mr. Kirkland walked up to me and Michelle with a serious look on his face. I tried not to gaze into his green eyes. But I managed a smile.

"What is your name?" he asked

"Maria, sir" I answered, Mr. Kirkland raised his large eyebrow and opened his notebook

"What grade are you in?"

"Grade 9-3, sir""

"Hmm" he scanned his notebook "What Country are you representing?"

"The Philippines, sir"

"Maria de la Cruz?" he said shutting his book "umm yes?" I said in a shaky way. "I'm Arthur Kirkland, representing England. Welcome to World Academy W" he looked at Michelle "Hello Shelly, I trust you found your way here was quite straightforward"