Chapter 24: "Anymore stupid questions?"

where are you guys from?

-

I smoothed out the old - obviously worn out - jean skirt that my grandmother gave me ages ago, and slipped on my flats.

Today I was going to church with my grandparents. I didn't know why I chose today out of all days, but for some reason I had. Besides, my grandparents were more than ecstatic to find out that their grandchild was finally giving in to needing more Jesus.

When Louis left me alone at the mall yesterday, I eventually called up Megan and asked if she could come get me - which she did. It was obvious that Louis wasn't going to come back anytime soon, so I sought no valid point to wait on him. After I got home, I didn't bother looking at the clothes in the bags, so they were currently left at the foot of my bed untouched.

"Glimmer?" The sound of my grandmother's voice was heard as I submerged from my room. "Is that you?"

When she saw it was me, she slightly gasped. "You look so grown up! How beautiful! God has really blessed you, hasn't he?"

I simply smiled as I neared her, "Thanks, grandma."

She swiftly caught her eyes on my mom who was trying to sneak into her room, "Paula, don't you leave!"

My mom muttered and stopped in her tracks as she forced a smile, "I wasn't going to. What makes you think that?"

My grandmother furrowed her eyebrows, knowing her daughter well enough to know the truth. She wasn't going to answer her though. "You should come to church with us. There is going to be a wonderful service today that you shouldn't miss."

"Brad!" My mom called, making my dad slowly appear from their room. His eyes widened as they settled on his mother-in-law. "My mother's here."

My dad straightened out the striped tie he was wearing - the colors vary everyday - and slightly gulped. "Yes, I can see that. How are you...do I still call you mom?"

Mom laughed but slapped my dad's chest, and my grandmother scowled at the couple, "Why did you have to go out and marry the exact opposite of what's good for you, Paula? Why couldn't you marry someone holy?"

"You mean, like Jesus?" My mom asked, clearly joking. Her and my dad laughed, and I tried my hardest not to laugh too so that my grandmother wouldn't be angry with me.

"Someone like your father," she answered simply. "Changing the subject matter, Glimmer and I are going to be late if we stay any longer listening to you mindless buffoons. I'm disappointed that you won't come back to church, but if that's your choice, Paula, then so be it. Goodbye, Brad."

Grabbing onto my forearm, my grandmother pulled me along until we left my parents and out the front door.

She's never liked my father. Grandma felt that her plans to have her daughter marry a religious-crazed man, were ruined when my father came into the picture. The truth was, my mom hated being forced to go to church and she wanted to simply do her own thing. When she snuck out to a party one night at the age seventeen, I guess that was when she met my dad and they eventually fell in love.

-

Church was long.

People greeted me as if they hadn't seen me since forever, and it seemed to be a never ending service. I will admit that I strongly listened to a few parts of what the preacher said, though.

At a point, he talked about love. How love had multiple meanings - you can love your partner, and you can love your family. Love isn't selfish, evil, or jealousy. Love is generous, joyous, and trustworthy - whether it be the love you share for your family, your closest friends, or your partner. It was meant to be a beautiful thing, crafted by Jesus Christ himself, as he loved us and died for our sins.