Hole In My Heart

Elena’s POV

            I sat on the corner of Stefan’s bed, clutching his pillow to my chest. I breathed in deeply, and the scent of him filled my nostrils. I started sobbing, my body shaking as I thought about how I was probably never going to see him again! I let the tears stream down my face in a seemingly never ending cascade, until I could feel the puffy skin beneath my eyes begin to sting. I wiped my nose with the back of my hand, only achieving in smudging my mascara even more. If Katherine was right - he’d turned back to human blood – just to get the cure for Damon. I remembered back to when he had lost control after drinking my blood... he had become a monster. Savage. Out of control. That wasn’t the Stefan I knew, and I was worried about what Klaus would do to him. Sobs wracked my body once more, and I didn’t hear as Damon entered the room – I only noticed when he put his arm around me cautiously and stroked my arm.

            I thought back to that moment, just yesterday, of Damon lying in his grand four poster bed, face coated with sweat and grimacing and writhing in agony. He had been so weak; so vulnerable, and all I had wanted to do was hold him like a baby. I remembered the turmoil of emotions that had swirled through my head. I picked out the most prominent one. Love. I cared about Damon, a lot more than I had realised before... there was no use denying it. Once more, Katherine’s words “It’s OK to love both of them... I did” rang in my head, causing me to sob all the more. I couldn’t hurt Stefan like this, when he wasn’t here, even if I had kissed Damon last night. I reassured myself that it had be a friendly kiss, at most, a parting kiss between friends, even. But I knew deep down that my feelings for Damon were greater than I cared to think about at this moment in time, what with everything that was going on...

            ... I had to leave. I turned my head to look at Damon, whose usually scorning eyes matched his constant smirk, but instead he looked at me with a look that was injected with concern and worry. We didn’t speak much, but I told him I needed some space. For a moment, a look of disappointment crossed his face, but nearly instantly his usual smirk returned.

“You’ll be back soon, Elena... you know you can’t resist me” He winked seductively at me, and I hiccupped a nervous laugh in retort. He didn’t know how much truth that last statement held – did he?

“Oh really,” I replied, as I slipped on my jacket and picked up my car keys, “So is that why I’m going home? To get away from you? Because it’s so hard being in your presence 24/7; as I just want to rip your clothes off constantly?” I laughed.

Damon tried to look serious, but all he achieved was a slightly constipated look, which cracked me up all the more. He smirked at me, and I nearly swooned. God, if only he knew what effect that smirk had on me.

“Why of course, Miss Gilbert. I’m irresistible – you know that!”

He leaned close to me as he spoke, his face inches from mine, and for one horrible moment I thought he was going to kiss me... but he didn’t – he pulled away at the last minute, just as his breath tickled my lips and sent a shiver through my body. Now it was his turn to laugh, at my reaction of him being at such close proximity to me.

“Told you,” he snickered. I shot him an evil look in return, as I ducked down into the driver’s seat of the Mini, and ignited the engine.

All the way home, I had to focus hard on the road to stop my thoughts from wandering to Stefan. I wondered what he was doing now... how many people he’d killed. I didn’t know what to think, but ever since last night with my sudden realisation about how I felt about Damon, I was starting to feel less and less sure about my undying love for Stefan. The more I thought about it, the more I began to compare our relationship to that between me and Jeremy. It was more sibling like, companionable love. It wasn’t passionate, burning love. The way I felt when I was around Damon. No, stop it Elena, I told myself. I was only trying to convince myself I loved Damon because he was here, and Stefan wasn’t. That was it, nothing more.

There was no way I could have feelings for that smug, leather clad Salvatore. Or was there? There was something pushing at the back of my mind... like there was something I should remember, but couldn’t. I was confused. I hadn’t been compelled, as far as I knew, so there shouldn’t be any reason for me to forget something. Should there? Frustrated, I blamed my lack of recollection skills on being tired, as I ran up the front porch and slipped my key inside the lock. I froze as I heard the unmistakable bubbly laugh of Aunt Jenna from inside the house... she wasn’t alone. She sounded drunk, her high pitched voice resounding from the living room, as I swung the front door inwards.