Chapter 23

Emma didn't realise what she just said. Of course they couldn't just give up the ring, it also meant a lot to her, but if they HAD to... Maybe there was a chance they could get it back later or something like that? Steal it back, perhaps?

No, she thought. They couldn't do that. That would be heart breaking for Killian, and also for her. They couldn't just give up the only thing that was actually theirs... So much had happened since that day when Killian kneeled down and asked her that one question...

"Emma, my love, do you want to marry me?"

Her heart had felt like it was finally whole again, like the hole that had been formed throughout the years was finally filled up again. The ring was the only thing she had left from that day, and what she just said made it sound like she didn't care, like she didn't mind if it would be given away to the crocodile.

"Killian, I'm sorry... I didn't mean it like that.. We can't possibly give away the ring because it is the only thing we have left of... before.." With before she meant their life before everything changed, before everything was messed up like it is right this second.

Killian grabs her hand and she knows that he knows that she didn't mean it the way it sounded.

"But we still need something to trade, Rumplestiltskin won't come because we are such nice people to hang out with," Henry says, not noticing the emotional tension between Killian and Emma.

"This is all so messed up," Emma says.

"What's messed up?"

"This whole situation.. everything that happened since we jumped into the portal, everything is just such a mess. We jumped into the portal because we wanted our lives to become happy and have a beautiful place to live, and we didn't want any obstacles standing between us and our happiness... And look what has happened now! Everything has gone downhill and now we are about to make a deal with our biggest enemy? You know what they always say, all magic comes with a price and I'm pretty (insert swearing word) sure that it's the same this time. We can't just do that! Isn't there a way we can just be happy?" Emma rambles on.

Killian squeezes her hand even tighter.

"Emma, my love, we'll get out of this together. We'll find our happiness, and we'll have a beautiful place where we can grow old together," Killian smiled slightly when he thought about getting old with Emma, "and I promise you that nothing will ever come between us again.."

"You promise?" Emma started tearing up, without thinking about the fact that Henry was still with them the guy who supposedly was her son, even though she couldn't remember him.

"I promise," Killian kissed Emma on her cheek and smiled.