Chapter 19~Rivers and Rings

I was sitting in the living room, my new easel in front of me. I was finally putting the art supplies Sherlock had given me to use. Earphones were in both ears, music blaring. I moved the brush across the canvas, humming. Sherlock and John were on a case, and they had been out all day. Since they had left me alone, I had set up my art supplies and proceeded to paint all day. I was just finishing the final touches on the painting when I heard footsteps racing up the stairs. Sherlock and John entered the living room, looking distressed. I pulled the earphones out.

"What's wrong?" I asked as Sherlock and John collapsed in their chairs.

"The criminal got away." Sherlock explained, clearly annoyed.

"You going to go after him again?" I asked.

"Once we get some leads." John answered, getting up and entering the kitchen.

"Tea?" John asked from the kitchen.

"Yes please." I called. John made me a cup while Sherlock took up his thinking position. John handed me my cup, and sat back down. I scanned John with my eyes. Nice shoes. His favorite shirt.

"So, date tonight?" I said, taking a sip. John looked up.

"Yeah, she seems nice." He said. I nodded.

"Where are you taking her?" I asked.

"We're going out to see a film." He answered. Sherlock squinted his eyes, thinking hard.

"When do you think Lestrade will have leads?" Sherlock asked. John rolled his eyes.

"I don't know, Sherlock. Be patient." John sighed.

"Patience." Sherlock scoffed. "Patience is boring." John and I rolled our eyes. I focused back on my painting, putting the earphones back in my ears. Sherlock drummed his fingers against the armrests of his chair. Sherlock started to mutter about the case he was on, and I zoned him out. I stroked the brush across the canvas, my mind numbing over with simple focus. Some time later, I felt the earphones being yanked out of my ears.

"Hey!" I said, looking up. Sherlock was standing over me, my headphones in his hand.

"Are you listening to me?!" He said.

"No, that's what the headphones are for!" I snapped. He narrowed his eyes and turned with them still in hand. He rushed to put them on a high shelf that only he could reach. I jumped and stretched but the headphones were just out of my reach.

"Sherlock Holmes, you tall asshole!" I shouted. He looked unfazed.

"You weren't listening to me." He said simply. I looked around the room.

"Where's John?" I asked, confused.

"He went out on his date. So, you're the only one here for me to talk to." Sherlock stated. I grunted in frustration, walking back over to my easel. I sat back down.

"Talk to your skull." I said.

"No. I need a living person." He said. I rolled my eyes, zoning him out again. A few minutes later, I heard liquid being poured. I looked up to see Sherlock standing over the sink, pouring the milk down the drain.

"Sherlock!" I shouted, racing over to where he was standing. I grabbed the jug from his hands, but most of the milk was gone. I glared at him.

"You weren't paying attention to me." He said. I glared daggers at him.

"You need to stop doing that. Do you know how many times John has to go to the store?" I snapped, moving to sit down in John's chair. I crossed my arms.