Chapter 27..

I sat up in Brian's bed, and looked around. Everything was dark, but my eyes were adjusted enough to see Brian wasn't anywhere in here. I looked to Jay's bed. The sheets were lumpy, and I figured he was there asleep.

I decided I'd wake him, and ask if he knew where Brian would disappear to in the middle of the night. I shook the mass under the covers that was Jay, but he didn't move, or wake up. I groaned, and pushed on him harder, but still, nothing. I pulled the sheets back, and gasped.

Jay was lying face up, with his eyes still open, and his arms were lying by his side. The bed sheets were soaked beneath his wrists, where there were two puddles of blood, and when I touched him, he was ice cold. Had he killed himself? Just tonight? My mind was racing. If his wrists were slashed, it had to be a suicide, right? But why tonight? Why right now?

I backed away from Jay's body, and his bed, and backed against the wall, and tried to calm myself down. It didn't work. I began to panic, wondering who I should go to about this. The principle? Dr. Menson? And what about Brian? Where the hell was he? My mind drifted back to Menson, as I began to tremble, it was like I had chills all over, but I wasn't cold at all. Dear God Dr. Menson.... what was it that he had said just a week ago? Something like 'You'll kill us all while we sleep,'.... "Shit." I said aloud, pacing the floor.

"What am I going to do, what am I going to do.... stupid Menson." All I could think was Jay's dead, and Menson must have been right. But than I came jolting to my senses.

"Don't be stupid, Jo." I said aloud, talking to myself, as I paced the floor, and tried not to look at Jay's cold handsome face. "Brian didn't do this. Brian wouldn't do this. Jay killed himself. Jay just killed himself. That's all...." But why? It didn't make any sense. It didn't make any sense at all. I knew I had to find someone, and I only knew one person, and that was Christine.

I ran down the hallway, until I reached the girls dormitories, and I banged on my own door, where I knew Christine would probably be asleep. I hammered my fist upon the door, begging her to open up, and when she didn't, I panicked some more, before realizing I had a key.

My hands were shaking as I jammed the key in the lock. "Calm down, Jo. Just stay calm." I said, opening the door. I turned the lights on, and saw Christine lying in bed asleep.

"Christine!" I hissed, and she didn't move. I walked over to her, and shook her gently.

"Christine, Christine, wake up! Something has happened!" I yelled, but she didn't move. She just lay in bed, with her eyes closed, probably having a pleasant dream. "Christine!" I shouted anxiously, tears stinging my eyes. I already knew what was happening. But I didn't want to come to terms with it.

"Wake up!" I screamed, pulling the covers back to find exactly what I knew I would. Her wrists were slashed, and her blood was poured out over her sheets. I screamed, and backed shakily against the wall, collapsing, and crying. I had to be dreaming. I pinched the back of my hand screaming "Wake up, Wake up damn it!". I begged for this all to just be a nightmare. Why was this happening? It didn't make sense. I didn't have any where else to go now.

And then I remembered Dr. Menson. 'He'll get the whole staff. The students. He knows everything....' he had said.

"No, Jo. It's not true. You KNOW Brian. You LOVE Brian. He DIDN'T do this!" I talked to myself. I left the room, barely able to walk, stumbling against the walls of the hallway, and crying. I broke into a run, not knowing exactly where I would end up.

I stumbled into the student affairs office, shaking, and crying, and almost immediately I slipped, and fell down. "God damn it!" I screamed, sitting, and sobbing, and wondering what had caused me to even slip in the first place. I opened my eyes, and looked at the floor. Rose petals. Rose petals everywhere. The scent should've hit me first, but it hadn't, and now it did, and it made me cry more, and more, till I was moaning, and crushing the delicate red petals in my hands.

It was almost as if the floor was made of Roses. It was red, all over the floor, and it made me want to be sick. I knew I was in a nightmare now. This was the worst nightmare I could've ever had. I looked around, and stood up. The super smiley desk woman was sitting in her chair. She was propped up, and staring at me, with big open eyes. What the hell was she doing here at midnight? I knew most of the faculty lived here on campus, but most of them didn't do their jobs through the night.

But I didn't care. I was so happy to see someone sitting up, and alive, I rushed over to her, slipping, and skidding all over the floor. "Oh God!" I shouted. "Thank God!" I collapsed next to her, and wondered why she wasn't moving. I grabbed her arm, and tugged on it, like a two year old begging for it's mother's attention.

"Hey!" I hollered. Her arm was cold. I should've known it, really. Her complexion was off, and she was just sitting there, not making a noise. Not even breathing. But she was SMILING. She was still smiling at me, her eyes open, and glazed over, and dead looking. I rolled up her sleeves, and, wouldn't you know it, there was a deep gash going across her pale wrist.

She fell off her chair, as I pulled on her arm. She just rolled right off, and hit the ground with a horrible thud. I think her shoulder might've dislodged itself, because there was a very unpleasant noise at the sound of her fall, and I didn't know what to do. So I sat there and cried some more. I wondered if this was actually happening. Sometimes you read about these really disturbing things in books, or watch them happening in movies, and the scary thing is, it ENTERTAINS you.

But when disturbing things, like roaming your school only to find anyone you come in contact with is dead are actually happening to you it's not entertaining any more. It's just scary. I stood up slowly, and braced myself against the wall. I made my way down the skinny hallway that led to the Principles office, the guidance counselor's office, and of course, Menson's room.

He was my next target. I hated him horribly, but he was the last person who could ever help me. I felt like he had created this horrible nightmare, and maybe if I found him, it would unravel.

And maybe it was just a well played out hoax. Maybe everyone would jump out, and scream 'Happy Halloween!', and that would be the end of it. I slipped along the hallway, barely able to walk, like a baby foal, and finally reached his door.

I twisted the handle, and expected it to be locked, but, it wasn't. It came open easy. I closed my eyes, just knowing I'd see Menson sprawled out on his desk, dead, or something. But when I opened them up, that wasn't at all what I saw.

...................................................

VOTE & COMMENTS..?