Chapter 7..

The bell rang, and Brian and I walked to lunch together. Christine was in the cafeteria, and already sitting down, eating. We set our stuff by her, and walked up to the food line. The cafeteria lady just gave me a look that said 'I hate my job', and slopped some chicken soup in a bowl before handing it to me. I tried to smile, and say thanks, but, she just ignored me, and started pouring some soup into a bowl for Brian.

We walked back to the table, and sat down by Christine. "Hey guys," she muttered, turning the page of a magazine with Jessica Simpson on the cover. I couldn't help but shudder. I had Simpson-phobia.

"Hey." Brian and I said in unison. He gave a sideways smile, flicked his hair out of his eyes, and began to slurp some soup into his mouth. I rolled up my sleeves, and began eating some soup too. I noticed Christine staring at my wrists. I stared at her, a little bit agitated.

"What?" I asked, probably sounding ruder than I had anticipated. "Oh, uh, nothing. I just didn't know that you, um.."

"Well, I did." I said smoothly, cutting off her awkward speech. I didn't like getting stares from people. So I had tried to kill myself, so what? Brian shifted his position uncomfortably.

"W-why did you do it?" he asked softly. It was as polite as he could've possibly said it.

"I don't want to talk about it." I said, just as soft, and just as uncomfortable. I never really told ANYBODY why I did it. And I didn't plan on telling people about it. It was the only thing that I really had that was mine, and mine alone. And I wanted to keep it that way.

............§............

After all of our classes were over which the three of us had gone through in severe awkwardness, after the discomfort of our lunch together, Brian asked me if I wanted to hang out with him, in the back office, where he worked.

I didn't know why he was asking me, and leaving Chris (she had gotten this strange haze in her eyes, and then 'TA-DA' she was no longer Christine, but Chris) all alone. I shot Chris a small stare like, 'Is it okay if I leave you in our dorm, all lonely?', and she just shrugged. I decided I'd hang out with Brian.

Maybe I'd get to the bottom about his big 'lie', and those drawings he hides from everyone. Probably not, but, it beat doing homework! forget homework!!!

"So, what do you do back here?" I asked, hoping on top of a small file cabinet, and crossing my legs. We were in some kind of a storage room, with a bunch of old files sitting around.

"Nothing much." He said with a shrug, and he pulled out a big stack of papers, and began to organize them. "I just organize files.... snoop around.... well, the big guys up stairs don't know that I snoop around, but, I do."

"What do you snoop around for?" I asked, curiously.

"Anything." He said, with a smile. "Everything." He added. His eyes darted towards the door, and then he said, with a small glint in his eye, "Come here." He grabbed my hand, and yanked me off the cabinet, and dragged me out the door.

He scanned the hallway, and when he saw no body there, we darted towards a door, a few paces from the room we had just been in. He opened it a crack, peeked his head in, and then said, with the most devilish smile, "The coast is clear!" and we scrambled in, before he closed the door, and locked it.

"Where are we?" I asked anxiously.

"The principle's office." He said nonchalantly.

"Are we allowed in here, without his permission?!" I asked nervously, looking around. Spotting pictures, a computer, a GIAGANTIC file cabinet, and, oddly enough, a composition book sitting on the rather large desk in the center of the room.

"No, we're not allowed in here." He said grinning. "But I come all the time." He said. "I know everything about this school, and this, my friend, is why." He said, scooping up the little black and white spotted notebook.

"What is it?" I asked, as he sat back in the principle's chair, and kicked his legs up on the desk. I sat on the desk, in front of him, and swung my legs idly.

"It's the principles.... I guess you'd call it a diary? He likes to record everything down in here. All his plans, all the stuff that's going on, stuff about students...."

"Interesting," I muttered, without any interest at all. I was only interested in Brian, and I found myself staring at him, as he read the principle's 'Diary'. He was a seemingly nice kid, and definitely a cute one. Too bad I already knew too much about him to fall for him. I wasn't stupid enough to fall for a compulsive liar!

............§............

Nobody PLANS to fall for a liar! It just happens! At least that's what I thought, but a week passed, and Brian and I became fast friends. And I caught myself falling for him, even though, every time I saw him, all I could think of were his infamous words: 'I killed someone'. But he had this way of talking to you, or looking at you, with this gentle sarcasm, his sarcasm could be annoying, but, it was kind of cute.., but he had this tone in his voice that suggested you were the most important person in the whole word. And every smile he gave me, every time he blinked uncontrollably in mid-lie, I heard this little voice in the back of my head scream 'STOP IT! Don't look at him like u admire him!'. And then I just told that voice to shut the hell up, because it was too late to try to convince me. Not even Christine could convince me. She tried to, but I wouldn't listen to her.

"He IS my ex boyfriend." She had said, staring at me, as we laid on our beds. "I know more about him than you do, and I know, that even though he looks so sweet and nice, there's something wrong with him, Jo. There just is. He's.... not right."

"None of us are right!" I had exclaimed. "We're in a school for 'TROUBLED' teens. Duh." It was strange living with Christine, and her multiple personalities. Christy only came out now and then, and she was a bitch, but Chris was always around, and I liked him best.

He and Brian were good friends, and we'd hall hang out. I didn't mind Christine, but, at the same time, I didn't like the way she treated Brian. She treated him like he was sick, or disturbed, probably because she was a jealous ex-girlfriend; but SHE is the one with freaking multiple personalities! Brian just shrugged her off, but I knew it bugged him. I couldn't heed Christine's little bits of advice when Brian was just SO nice.

He was teaching me all the ins and outs of the school, how to act like you were getting better, but just stay the same person on the inside; how to hide my medication; and how to get on the good side of the new psychiatrist by telling little lies, and he was just.... cool. That's it. He was cool.

I decided he had never killed anyone in the first place, and that I was just a paranoid freak, and I decided whatever he drew, and hid from me, was his business, not mine. And, on the plus side, I knew he'd show me someday. I just knew, we would be friends like that. The secret-sharing kind of friends. And even though it had only been a week, I already trusted him more than any of the doctors, it was almost like Brian WAS my doctor, advising me, being there for me--he was the most helpful psychiatrist I had ever had! And I felt like I had known him forever.

But what I didn't know then was that Brian was about to become my lifeline. My best friend. The only person in the world that would matter.

............................................................

VOTE & COMMENTS..?