Chapter 8..

I was sitting in English class, at 10 in the morning beside Chris, and we were passing notes with one another while the teacher rambled on about Shakespeare. Suddenly, I heard the teacher calling my voice. "Josephine!" she snapped, making me stare at her, and the Brian, who was standing next to her. He hadn't been there before, he wasn't even in this class.

"Huh?" I mumbled staring at Brian's big blue eyes with curiosity.

"Dr. Menson wants to see you." She said, pointing out the door. "Brian was sent to come find you."

"Oh," I said in a daze, standing up, and walking out the door with Brian. Dr. Menson was the new psychiatrist, and I had only spoken to him once.

"What does he want?" I asked Brian as we walked down the hall together.

"I don't know." Said Brian softly. But by the way he spoke, it sounded like he already knew. Like he knew perfectly. I just shrugged. It was probably something stupid, like an upping in the dosage of my medication.The anticipation is killing me!

Brian opened the door for me, and I walked into Menson's office. Brian said, "I'll wait here for you," and then shut the door.

I sat down in the chair across from Menson's desk. "What's up?" I asked curiously. He was staring at his desk, with his glasses pushed halfway down his nose. He looked up into my eyes, and pushed his glasses up so he could properly see me. "Josephine," he began.

"Jo." I corrected. He knew I liked Jo better.

"Jo," he repeated, and then continued. "I'm afraid I have some very terrible news." He said, solemnly. I wondered what could possibly be so terrible. I thought at worst, it was that they were sending me home to my parents. That my friends here, and my happiness here would end.

"What is it?" I asked slowly, a scenario of me waving goodbye to Chris and Brian as my parents shoved me into their car flashed through my mind.

"You're parents," he said painfully.

"Oh God, they're taking me out of school aren't they? They're making me go back home!" I pouted. So stupid of me.

"No, no, that's not it at all." He said, with mild concern. Dr. Menson was a strange man. He had this way of pretending he was concerned for you, but, you could tell in those eyes behind his thick rimmed glasses that he didn't ever mean. You were just another patient to him, and he only cared about you because you're mental healing insured his success as a psychiatrist.

I didn't really like him very much because of that. Brian didn't like him either, but he hated doctors in general. He told me so. Chris didn't care either way; she just tried to enjoy herself no matter what was happening with the doctors, or with the pills, or with the therapy.

"It's not?" I asked, breathing a huge sigh of relief.

"No." he said gently. "You're parents, Josephine, have.... they've been in a terrible car accident." He said, and his voice took on this cold, unfeeling tone. "They're dead."

oh...my...god. Why do bad things like this always happen with me!?! "What?" I asked, panic stricken. Hoping he would just scream 'J/K! LOL!' and start giggling, and let me go back to class.

He looked at me firmly, and repeated, in almost a merciless voice: "They're dead." It struck me like a ton of bricks. They're dead? I thought Yes. They're dead. Answered a distant voice in my mind, almost like a conscience. I didn't say anything, I didn't want to be with Dr. Menson. I stood up, and walked out of the room, with a stiff expression set on my face.

I saw Brian standing there, and he just looked at me. He knew. He knew about my father.... my mother.... "Jo?" he asked, coming closer to me.

I collapsed on the floor, and my knees curled beneath me, as I put my head in my hands, and began to cry. Brian rushed over to me, and put his arm around me. I clawed my hands over his shirt, until finally I was hugging him, and laying my head on his shoulder, crying into the curve of his neck, until I couldn't breathe.

He stroked my hair, and rubbed his hand up and down my back, until I was finally relaxed. I closed my eyes, and we just sat there, me with my face in his now warm moist neck, and him collapsed beside me, cradling me. Brian really is a sweet heart.

After maybe twenty minutes of just sitting there, crying softly, Brian helped me to stand up.

"I don't want to go back to class," I muttered through a few stray tears.

"You don't have to." He said. He took me back to my room. He let me hold his hand. It felt like I needed that hand. That warm piece of flesh, with a pulse. It was comforting just to know something was alive, when I suddenly felt dead and lifeless, and when my own parents, the only family I had, were dead.... and lifeless. I gave him my key, and he opened the door for me, and I sat down on my bed, still holding his hand. He stood and looked down on me.

"You should probably rest," he said, for no real reason at all. He laid me down, and put the covers of my bed over me with his free hand, because I wouldn't let the other go.

"I better go," he said slowly, "before someone sees me," and he tried to pull away, but I clutched his hand.

"No." I said simply, and pulled him down until his was sitting beside me. I needed Brian more than I needed air in my lungs, and if he left.... I knew what I'd do. I'd kill myself, or I'd try really hard to, at least. So I tugged on him, until he lay down, with his back facing me. He kicked his sneakers off. I've never been this close to anyone, I thought. I snaked my arm around his waist, and moved it up his chest until it fell over his heart and I felt it beating. The steady beat helped me to fall asleep.

"I love you." I murmured, before disappearing into dreamless sleep. I barely knew Brian, but I loved him. funny how that happens, isn't it? People fall in love SO quickly!

.....................................................................

VOTE & COMMENTS..?