Chapter 5..

We were sitting silently together, just eating lunch for about ten minutes, when Brian spoke. "So, why did you do it?" he asked. "Jo?"

"Huh?" I mumbled.

"Why'd you do it?" and he pointed to my wrists. To the long scars, that had once been painful gashes, but were now concealed by my long sleeve shirt. Thank God for uniforms!

"None of your business." I said rudely.

"Hey, don't act like that. It was just a question." He said, before standing up, and walking away, carrying his tray with him.

"What's his problem?" I asked Chris, who shrugged.

"I dunno," she said. "Maybe he was just curious."

"Well, I don't like people prying into my business...." I said slowly.

"I'll keep that in mind." Said Chris with a grin.

I laughed. "Well, he asked me why I did it, so I'm going to ask you why did HE do it?"

"Huh?" Asked Chris, looking confused, as she shoved red sauce into her mouth. "Do what?"

"Try and commit suicide." I said, in a 'duh' kind of way. If her and Brian were good friends, she must have known about his attempt at suicide, just like everyone back home knew about mine, which was one of the reasons why it was glad to be away from home--no sideways glances, and soft whispers of 'Yeah, that's her. That girl who almost killed herself.'

Chris, coughed, and sputtered.

"What!?" she squawked.

"Commit suicide!" I repeated.

"I heard you, I heard you!" She hissed. "You don't have to scream it! Brain never did that!" she shouted.

"B-but he told me he did." I said. "He said he was just like me." I said, feeling somewhat betrayed. "He said he was depressed too, and that he tried to kill himself."

"Brian's not here for killing himself, and he's not here because he's depressed." Said Chris, looking at me with an awkward stare. "Those marks on his wrists are from a curling iron. He burnt himself last year, really badly." She said giggling. "Brian isn't suicidal, Jo. He's a compulsive liar. That's why he's here."

"A compulsive liar?" I asked. "Like, all the time?"

"Yes." She said, nodding and laughing, a little. "He lies all the time."

"Well, how can you tell the truth from the lies?"

"He blinks a lot when he lies." She said with a shrug.

"Blinks?" I questioned.

"Yeah, like this." She said, imitating him, blinking her eyes with a weird twisted smile, while laughing.

"Blinks...." I repeated, before drifting back to earlier today.

He had looked at me with a flash in his big blue eyes. "I killed somebody."

He had said. He hadn't blinked. Hadn't blinked once. Oh shit. this could be serious! Ah!

"Are you sure he only blinks?" I asked nervously.

"Yup." Said Chris. I stared at her, in disbelief, and then something weird happened. Her eyes glazed over, and her mouth drooped a little, and she went silent. She wasn't even breathing.

"Chris?" I asked, waving my hand in front her face. It was like she had spaced out, but wasn't coming back. It was like she fell asleep with her eyes open. "Chris!" She blinked a few times, and then, "Who the hell are you?" she asked loudly.

"I'm Jo. Josephine. You're roommate?" She stared me up and down, and then, "Oh! Oh my God! I'm so sorry!" she shouted, covering her mouth.

Her voice had a different quality to it. Before it had been very ruff, with a low rumble in the back of her throat, and now it had this softness. And this high delicate pitch.

"New personality?" I asked.

"Oh! Yes. Sorry! I'm Christine." She said, sticking out her hand, for me to take. I shook it softly.

"Nice to meet you." I said awkwardly.

She laughed.

"Same here." She said. This is so weird, I thought, in the back of my head. She looked down at her almost empty plate of spaghetti sauce. "What am I eating?" she asked confused.

"Sauce." I said giggling.

"Oh God.... I hate it when he does that!" she shouted, shoving the plate away. "Come on," she said smiling, "let's go back to our room."

"Alright," I said as we both stood up, and set our dirty dishes on a wrack, with a bunch of others, that had to be cleaned. We were walking out the doors when we were both assaulted by a woman, dressed in scrubs, pushing around a little trolley full of bottles of pills.

"Girls!" she shouted, flagging us down. "Medication time!"

I raised my brow. "Medication time?" I asked Christine.

"Just go with it." She said with a smile. "I'll show you the ropes." She winked. We walked over to the woman with the trolley. It reminded me of when I used to read Harry Potter, and that lady would come with all the sweets to give to the kids on the train. Except this lady came with bottles of pills and a fake smile. It gave me the creeps, to be honest. She handed us to little plastic cups. One filled with meds for me, and one with Christine's meds. We took them, gave her a thank you, and then darted out of the cafeteria.

"How did she know which meds are mine, and which are yours?" I asked curiously.

"She just does. Everyone around here knows everything about you. No secrets. No surprises, either." Said Christine, as we walked down the hallway towards our room.

"I hate taking these." I said staring at the little pills in hatred.

"Then don't." said Christine, as she took hers out, and chucked them over her shoulder. They made small click-ity noises as they hit the tile, and bounced. She crunched the plastic cup in her fingers, and smiled.

"Isn't that a little risky? Will they catch you?" I asked.

"No way." She said nonchalantly. "They never do. Nobody takes their medicine." She said simply. So I chucked them over my shoulder too. I didn't know if it was the right thing to do, but it felt so good to crush the plastic cup in my palm, and hear the clicking of the pills as they bounced away down the hallway, and away from me.

..................................................................

VOTE & COMMENTS..?