Chapter 21..

Dr. Menson fumbled in his desk drawer for a moment before plucking out a manila folder, with papers sticking out of it. He reached across the desk, and handed it to me. "I didn't really want to show you this." He said, with mild emotion in his voice. "But I think you're the only one that can really talk to the boy about it...."

I opened the folder up, not really knowing what I was going to see. And not really prepared for what I saw. It was Brian's drawings. And Christine hadn't lied to me about them.... They were downright scary, like something out of a twisted horror film. I looked at Dr. Menson with disbelief for a moment, thinking maybe Brian didnt actually draw these, that maybe it was just a hoax. But Menson just coaxed me onwards, telling me to go on looking.

The first few sketches made sense. Done in black and red, a woman lay sprawled out on the floor, beaten and bloodied, with Rose petals floating around her. I assumed that was his mother. The next drawings were of a little boy, with big blue eyes. The blue was the only color in the sketch, and they stood out, in a creepy way. The pictures depicted the boy in different positions, and angles. Sometimes toying with a knife, or just curled up in the corner frightfully. His black hair covered his face a little, and it reminded me of Brian. Cute, innocent, and a little unstable.

But then the pictures got weird, and I didn't want to look at them. It felt like a great invasion of privacy. One was of a man, in maybe his early fifties, sitting behind a big desk, laying his head on the top of the desk, while his eyes stared at you, lifelessly. Another was of that same man, and even the same desk, but in this one, the man was sitting up right, and looking straight forward, nervously. He clutched a knife in one hand, looking like he was trying to protect himself against something. The last one was strangest. The older man lay atop his desk, in a small pool of blood, while the little blue eyed boy stood next to the desk, by his feet, and poked the mans shiny black shoes playfully, with a little grin. I closed the folder quickly, and tossed it on Menson's desk.

We sat in silence for a few moments, and then Menson broke it. "Well, what do you think of your Mr. Dark now?" he mused grimly. I didn't answer him. Dr. Menson was a sick bastard, whom I didn't feel like speaking too. "I think this gives a little insight into his psyche, don't you, Josephine?"

"I thought you said you wanted my help, Dr. Menson, not that you wanted to torture me relentlessly. So what is that you want me to do?" I asked him coldly. While I still loved Brian, this was a little weird. And I did want to help Brian, if I could, and get these dark thoughts out of his mind.

"Just talk to Mr. Dark about it. Try to get some insight...." Said Menson. "And ask him about a man named Dr. Nikolai." Said Menson.

"Why?" I asked. "Who's that."

"The school's old psychiatrist." Said Menson. "He passed away over the summer. He resembles the man in these drawings.... He was found in his office, with gashes across his wrists. Everyone thinks he committed suicide...." he trailed off.

Now I understood Menson's methods a little bit clearer. Did he REALLY think Brian murdered Dr. Nikolai? That's ridiculous. "Whatever." I muttered, before Menson handed me my 'happy' pill for the day, and I put it under my tongue, pretending to swallow, and walked out the door.

................................................

VOTE & COMMENTS..?