Fa: That Just Happened

"Be quiet woman your speaking out of turn", my pops saved the moment of my humiliation and told Nena off in Tongan.

My being oozed in discomfort as tension continued to linger awkwardly over our heads.

I allowed my gaze to travel over to my dad, and I mentally sigh as I see him with his head resting in his palms trying to control his breathing. How this man puts up with us women is beyond me- this guys deserves a medal for bravery.

On the other hand, I see mum was trying to calm Nena down and staring daggers towards Sifa.

Just to even sweeten the moment, Lily on my right here was still chuckling her head off.

"Nena please, don't jump to conclusions. We're not even friends", I say after salvaging as much courage as I could.

Silence followed my little hero moment.

I nervously watch her face discern over what I said, her mouth continued to churned on the food rolling in her mouth. Thankfully, the tension subsides after Nena gives me a quick nod and turns her attention back to her plate and resumes eating quietly.

The whole table stays frozen, keeping our cautious gaze on our crazy matriarch not knowing whether to anticipate another freak out.

"She said she likes you", my little sisters snickers towards Sifa who raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"I believe you", Sifa added dryly.

AFTER DINNER ENDED Sifa happily left and we all started to turn in for the night.

I was about to tuck myself into bed when a knock on my door summoned me to get out from under my covers. As I opened the door, it revealed the little Bro Nela.

As I take notice of his features, his face seemed complacent and without a word he walked straight into my room without an invitation.

"What's up?", I say as casually as possible trying to keep the mood light.

"Why didn't you say anything about Sifa?", Nela pegged.

"Because it ain't a big deal. Why so concerned?", I sit across from him on my bed.

"Nothing"

"Come on man, it's me. You can tell me anything", I said with all seriousness and watched him stay quiet and deep in thought.

"Was it because I already knew Sifa?", I offered.

"Umm, not really ..... Maybe? it's sorta about that", Nela's eyes squint

"Tell me then, what bothers you?", I queried.

Moments of silence pass until he began, "It's been so long since I've learnt to trust someone that's not family. I just don't want anything to ruin the good friendship we have. I noticed the way he looked at you", Nela solemnly shares.

"The way he smuggled at me you mean? Pfft", I shrugged off.

"Look, I haven't really known the guy that long but already I feel like he understands more than anyone does. Is that crazy?"

"No not all", I smile. "I think things with Sifa is something that is really helping you heal in ways no one else could. Are you scared of what he'll think of you when you tell him about Leka?"

He remains quiet which only confirms my assumption.

"Look, if this guy is still willing to be your case worker and mentor after tonight, then he's a winner and definitely someone you'd want by your side", I encouraged.