Tolu: Awkward Much

"So tell me ALL about it!"

AFTER that awkward exchange at Uni I left and picked up Helen from home. We drove to our HQ: Pancakes on the Rocks for a nice hearty dinner.

"So what's it like being amongst smart people?", Helen squealed before taking a sip from her soda cup.

"It's not really all that", I shrugged off whilst swirling my straw in my cup. I was still feeling worked up from Sifa's comment and then his obnoxious attitude in the car park.

"Oh come on, I ain't ever gonna go to Uni so I'm living it through you. Let's go, gimme details on the classes? How were the guys? Tell me everything!", she exclaimed with genuine curiosity.

My best friend Helen AKA twinny was not only my "BFF", but she has been my neighbour since we were little. Compared to my tall, slim build and tom-boyish style, Helen was shorter, naturally sheikh and stylistic, with curves to die for! We may be polar opposites, but you couldn't tear us apart if you tried.

"Like seriously- it ain't all that. It's interesting for the most part. The classes I'm taking are awesome, the lecturers are so approachable... And ... ", I saw that wasn't getting much of a reaction from her.

"... you don't care", I rolled my eyes so I quickly got to the an area of her self-interest after I took a bite of my pizza.

"The guys aren't so bad- I guess. I haven't really noticed but ...", my mouth stopped in mid chew because Sifa came to mind. Shit.

"ARGHH!", Helen's eyes light up. "So you have noticed a guy!! Talk to me girl"

"No it's not like that chill!", keeping my eyes directed at my pizza & sighed. She's not going to budge unless she's satisfied.

"You're lying! Your blushing right now so that means your lying", she squealed excitedly.

"Puh-lease! It's nothing"

"Doubt it. Tell me! tell me! come on don't leave me hanging!", she was banging the table with her fist at this point which I then reached out to hold them still.

"Ok! Chill!", I warned. "So everyone I had class with we're all pretty much faceless, except for Sifa", I hiss his name.

"Hmm he sounds fob- WAIT HOLD UP! girl you better proceed with caution coz you never know, you might end up being related!", She knows I don't go for Tongans for this exact reason. I roll my eyes and scoffed.

"Oh please, the guy wasn't shamed at all to say he ain't- and I quote, 'team pharlap'", I air quoted with my hands.

Keeping my eyes on her, I groan as I watch her contort her face. The only way I could tell she was laughing was by the sound of her laugh struggling to leave her throat.

I sit in humiliation as my best friend writhes hysterically in her booth.

"Are you finished?", I snap at her.

She slowly calms down and takes deep breathes. "I'm good"

"It's not funny"

"It's pretty fricken hilarious! So what's wrong if he's Samoan? Hell, I might even be related to him", she continues to laugh lightly.

I intentionally use the silence to build anticipation- "he called Nela a delinquent in front of my entire tutorial class".

I became satisfied when she quickly sobered up, raising a brow. Like me, she too is quite protective of Nela as if he was like her little brother.

"What an a**hole", she shoots.

Huh.

"He was trying to make a point about having a flawed justice system that apparently rewards delinquents like "the boy in the news" with community service when kids that sells smack does time"