Taha: Stormbreaker

I HUFFED OUT LOUD as I climbed out of the driver's seat of my Holden cruze; I peered over the roof of my car to see my little 17 year old brother Nela climb out and close the door. We gave each other a knowing nod before we made our way to the back entrance of our family home.

Although he towers over me and is a lot stockier than I; our eyes share the same hazel shade and the matching tanned Polynesian skin we inherited from our mother. Not only were some of our physical characteristics the same; we were both clothed in black. In our culture - the Tongan culture, it's customary to wear black for a year when in mourning. It still feels fresh but it's been 7 months since our eldest brother George died.

Since we buried him, his absence is still very much a presence in our home. Consumed by grief, George's death led Nela down a dangerous path, and that is what brings us here today.

We had just returned home from the local police station after Nela's check in with his parole officer; Matt. It's been a new routine for us to adjust to since he was sentenced a month ago.

Just as we were making our way up the footpath our mother's imposing figure appeared.

"Leilani! Nela! Finally, you're home!" she grumbled as her eye twitched, which was a habit of hers whenever she was annoyed by one of us kids, and there she stood in all her fury with her hands planted firmly on her hips.

"Ma! What's going on?" I asked wearily, but apparently it was the wrong thing to say as it only worked her up.

"Get inside quickly we have a guest!" she growled before stalking back into the house.

Nela and I both look at each other and shrugged our shoulders in confusion before we followed her.

Upon our entrance into the lounge room we were met with a number of faces staring right at my brother and I. Looking around the room I saw my Nena, Pops, my dad, my younger sister Lily and a stranger dressed in a suit. He was caucasian with kind facial features, brown eyes and grey hair.

"Son, come meet Mr. Knox", our father said introducing the stranger, "he's the principal at the John Ramsgate School."

Nela snapped his head towards me questioningly before turning to face the gentlemen. "Ramsgate? As in the behavioural school?" Nela gaped.

"It's a prestigious educational centre for young gentlemen set in a non-mainstream environment", Mr Knox spoke up with a warm smile.

"I don't understand" Nela replied questioningly.

"As per your court order issued last month, the judge ordered for you to fulfil 200 hours of community service and to attend a behavioural school. I was contacted by the court to have you join John Ramsgate Educational centre." Mr. Knox replied sympathetically.

"It's a bit invasive, don't you think? That you just invite yourself to our home. Is this your normal practice?" I replied sharply towards the man in the fancy suit.

His presence in my house was unsettling and honestly, he was starting to piss me off. My brother's not a delinquent like everyone thinks he is. He made a mistake months after George died; as serious as it was Nela never meant for it to happen.

I could feel an angry glare on the side of my face, and I could bet all the kit-kats in the world it was because of my comment; however the principal put his hand up to signal that it was ok.

"Don't be angry, I understand and I do apologise if you feel that way. As I was saying to your parents, it's important for me to meet my newest student and also his family. I am committed in supporting Nela through his final year of high school and to help him take on opportunities that'll allow him to participate fully in this community and in life. I come here with no other intentions but to introduce myself and offer my support"